Why become a member? ×

Mesa M-Pulse tone/para controls

Beedster

Spending quite a lot of time getting to grips with my new M-Pulse, and hoped someone could make thigs clearer re the relationship between the pre-amp tone controls (L, M, H) and the 5-band parametric EQ. Specifically, I assumed that when I switched on the para it would bypass the preamp tone controls, which it doesn't. I've tended to own amps with simple tone controls in the past, and have always run those controls flat when using any form of external EQ (it seemed that if you didn't the latter would have to compensate for the former). I love the simple footswitch and the solo option, meaning that I can run one channel (i.e., main plus pre-amp EQ) with one volume and EQ whilst, theoretically, switching to another (i.e., solo plus parametric EQ) with a different volume and EQ. However, if the preamp is always on even when the parametric EQ is switched in, the latter, to a certain extent, must always balance the former before making its own contribution to tone. For example, if I'm running the main channel mid heavy whilst running the second scooped, on the second channel I'm having to boost an already cut bass and treble, as well as scooping already boosted mids, to get the tone I want, which seems odd. Firsly am I correct or have I misunderstood the way the two pre-amps work with each other (although my ears tell me I'm correct), and secondly, if I am correct, is it best not to try and run 'opposing' EQ as in the example above?

Hope the above made some sense to someone!

Chris

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='644360' date='Nov 3 2009, 01:26 PM']Nah, you're exactly right... the Para adds to what you've done at the initial EQ stage. It's no different to most amps with this set-up.[/quote]

Indeed. And bear in mind that what looks like flat EQ on the main EQ may actually be far from flat. Trust your ears (but still cross-examine them just in case).

Alex

Cheers WoT, much as I suspected then. Seems a shame you can't switch off the preamp EQ as you can the para, I had some lovely tones workung last night on one or the other that just don't work if using both (so I can't set both and switch between using the footswitch). Not a great problem as I'm unlikely to ever need to scoop dramatically and tend to run pretty flat, but it could have been useful.

C