Why become a member? ×

Another long story

snip

Found this site a few weeks ago and like what I see, so I thought I would introduce myself....

My bass history is long and weird. I started playing in bands in the early 70's(that makes me OLD..!!). Played rhythm guitar in my first band, then we lost our bass player and we had problems getting another. Several came for audition, but none were any good, so in desperation the lead guitarist brought this old handmade bass along to the next practice session and gave it to me and said, why don't you give it a try. Naturally I was crap that night, but took it home and tried to get used to the feel of playing bass. When I turned up at the next session there was a marked improvement and I had thoroughly enjoyed myself. I never would have made a good guitarist, but playing the bass I could see and feel that I had potential.

Anyway after several bands I ended up in a band called Screw which played mainly our own material. We entered the Melody Maker contest in 1978(could have got the year wrong, but there abouts) and won the 1st round in the East Midlands. I remember we played two cover songs: Night by Night(Steely Dan) and Down by the River(Racing Cars). Well we were over the moon, but decided that we would have to do our own material if we wanted to win this competition, so we set about writing a new number for the semi finals in Birmingham. The song was not great and we failed miserably.

About 1980 I was getting fed up playing in bands, also the band was getting stale and I think the guys wanted to move on. It wasn't the playing/performance, I loved all that. It was all the other stuff that goes with it. Humping the gear, travelling, getting home at 1:00 in the morning. Anyway the rhythm guitarist and keyboard player were feeling the same, so we left. The rest formed a new band called Dawn Trader and did they do well..........

I had 2 basses at the time a Hayman 40/40 and a 60's Fender Precision. I put all my gear up for sale and everything except the Hayman went. The precision went for some stupid price which I have regretted ever since. Anyway to cut a long story short. The lead guitarist from the old Screw/Dawn Trader days, called me about 18 months ago and said he was looking for a Bass player and would I be interested. I said don't be daft I haven't picked up a bass for 28 years. He said I'll send you some mp3's and see what you think. I went to the attic and retrieved my Hayman and plugged it into a small practice amp I had had for years. Well after about half an hour of attempting to play again, my hands, wrists, back were all aching and although I could remember in my head the bass line to some of the songs, I could not play them..!! It was time to call my mate back and tell him I was too old for this lark... Then I decided I would give it 24 hours and try just one more time and gradually over a week I improved. Nothing to shout about, but I was playing along to the mp3's and feeling good about it.. So I rang my mate and told him I wanted to come along for an audition. I knew that playing with the band would be a lot different to playing with the mp3's and I wanted to test myself. He took me to his house before the session. He is one of these guys that has been playing all his life and has never sold anything. He had a room full of gear and a large cupboard full of guitars and a couple of basses(4 & 5 string). I picked up the 4 string and a guitar combo and we went off to meet the band. I was nervous.....

Well it went OK(just OK, not good) and they decided to give me a try. The rest is history. After about 2 months my mate brought the 5 string Warwick Corvette bass along to a practice session and I gradually learnt how to play it. I now own my own 5 string Warwick Streamer Jazzman. It took me about 3 months to get back in the groove, but I'm loving it....

Sorry it's such a long story, but I couldn't stop writing once I had started..

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete, welcome mate from a relatively newbie myself. Great site, just don't visit the for sale section, it's addictive. :)
Anyway, I liked your bass playing story, bit like mine. Stopped playing for 15 years, after band broke up then got fed up with dealing with dodgy promoters, flouncy singers and not seeing the kids. Got back into it a few years ago, with encouragement from mates, now playing again, with teaching, full time.
Best of luck with the band Pete, enjoy it and welcome to the 5 string club!
John

[quote name='oldslapper' post='639989' date='Oct 29 2009, 01:01 PM']Hi Pete, welcome mate from a relatively newbie myself. Great site, just don't visit the for sale section, it's addictive. :)
Anyway, I liked your bass playing story, bit like mine. Stopped playing for 15 years, after band broke up then got fed up with dealing with dodgy promoters, flouncy singers and not seeing the kids. Got back into it a few years ago, with encouragement from mates, now playing again, with teaching, full time.
Best of luck with the band Pete, enjoy it and welcome to the 5 string club!
John[/quote]

Thanks John and don't give up again.. You know we can't live without it...

I know what you mean about the sale section. Have to take a look every day... I'm looking for a Trace amp as a back up to what I have already a Ashdown ABM500 EVOII.

Cheers Pete

[quote name='yorick' post='639994' date='Oct 29 2009, 01:05 PM']Welcome... and i remember Dawn Trader.[/quote]

You must live in the Nottingham area, or like me, did live there in the 70's and 80's.

I heard they were thinking of reforming for a one off gig..

Cheers Pete