Why become a member? ×

Markbass New York 121

cLepto-bass

I'm thinking about maybe getting a couple of these to go with my LMII to make a super compact rig but was just wondering if anyone has any information on them. Basically, does anyone know if this rig will be up to live gigs. I'm not expecting masses of volume but does know if this potential setup would cut it on stage. With the 2 cabs being used that would allow the head to run at the full 500w at 4ohms, but I just do know enough about it to commit to the buy yet.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers bass folk.

I have the MB combo CMD121P which I assume would be similar to the 12" cab.

It's plenty loud on it's own for smaller pub gigs and easily keeps up with the drummer. For rehearsals it's really handy to carry, and loud.

The sound is middy and a litle honky to my ears but not altogether in a bad way. It can sound quite rich and warm too. I think a pair of these cabs would make a fine portable and loud rig.

One snag is the price, around £500 each; for that money I think a Barefaced midget ( or a pair)has got to be a better and safer bet. Lighter too.

I use a Barefaced Compact powered by LMII and it is really something. I intend to write a review after a few more gigs but I can say now that I'm very impressed with the Barefaced cabs.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Frank.

I have a 121p combo and use it with a 121 new York cab, it will go very loud and I would be surprised if it wasn't man enough for most applications. I wanted a compact rig that I could easily carry and store, this has proved perfect. I do find it useful to set it up close to a wall for some boundary reinforcement of the low end as you won't get the same efficiency from such small cabs as say a couple of large enclosures, but it is very impressive and I don't think I've ever turned it up beyond 11 o'clock.