Why become a member? ×

powering my board

dirtystatic

ok, so i'm putting together a board at the moment but i'm having trouble working out how to power the pedals. i bought a sound-lab power bank, which has six 9v outputs - but it was faulty so its goin back.. before i reorder another one i just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions for powering my board..

pedals i have/will have are..

korg dt-10 tuner - 9V DC
aphex punch factory - 9V AC
dha vt1 standard - 12V DC (but i believe polarity is different on these pedals)
true bypass looper - currently being built for me by umpf, im assuming itll be 9V DC
boss odb-3 - 9V DC
dod eq (modded) - 9V DC
ehx bass big muff - 9V DC
line 6 echo park - 9V DC

i hope ive got that right!

well, im resigned to the fact im gonna have to use a seperate adapter for the dha.

so should i buy a replacement sound-lab power bank to cover the six pedals that require 9V DC, then buy a seperate power supply for the aphex punch factory, which would give me 3 adapters in total. or could i daisy-chain them? (i heard that some pedals make a lot of noise when you power them that way) also, i was told the line 6 HAD to be powered via an official line 6 adapter otherwise you gets a load of hum

i may be missing somethin glaringly obvious, but ive only ever power things off batteries before now..

any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks

Edited by dirtystatic

A lot of pedals can be daisy chained fine if they are all same polarity same voltage. The EHX ones are a pain as the jack plug is usually a different size. Some distortion boxes dont like sharing a daisy chained power suppy and the list of offenders is not exhaustive so you have to experiment a little.
I also hear, as you said, about the Line 6 issues.

I'm just goin o what the Aphex website says.

If it is 9V DC then could I power all my 9V DC pedal via a couple of daisy-chains?

Would the problem with the noisey EHX and Line 6 be solved by those gig-rig battery doo-dad? I've heard mention of them but I'm not entirely sure what they do!

Cheers!

Edited by dirtystatic

Check out the powestation from Diago.... They've got a chart which shows all the pedals and how they can be powered...

[url="http://www.diago.co.uk/powerstation_compatibility.html"]http://www.diago.co.uk/powerstation_compatibility.html[/url]

From the Aphex Web site:
[quote]Flexible External Power
7 to 36VDC any polarity
5 to 24VAC
If the plug fits, it works![/quote]
[quote name='dirtystatic' post='632328' date='Oct 21 2009, 01:06 PM']If it is 9V DC then could I power all my 9V DC pedal via a couple of daisy-chains?[/quote]
Yes - providing the pedals don't have any specific requirement. I have an Aphex Xciter and I can daisy-chain it to all my other pedals without any problem.

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='632328' date='Oct 21 2009, 01:06 PM']Would the problem with the noisey EHX and Line 6 be solved by those gig-rig battery doo-dad? I've heard mention of them but I'm not entirely sure what they do![/quote]
The GigRig Virtual Battery, isolates the 9V-input from the 9V-output. In other words, from the output of the Virtual Battery you get 9V that have no point of electrical contact with the input power supply.

If you experience incompatibility problems with the power supply, it might help. Unless the producer says that you shouldn't, I would test the pedals without it first.

So it seems the Diago power station is the answer.

Two questions though, does anyone know what type of power connector the EHX Bass Big Muff uses? And also, I currently run my DHA with a 12V supply, the Diago runs at 9V. Now it says clearly in the pedal 9-12V, but will I encounter any problems running it lower?

Cheers for the help!

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='632486' date='Oct 21 2009, 03:56 PM']So it seems the Diago power station is the answer.

Two questions though, does anyone know what type of power connector the EHX Bass Big Muff uses? And also, I currently run my DHA with a 12V supply, the Diago runs at 9V. Now it says clearly in the pedal 9-12V, but will I encounter any problems running it lower?

Cheers for the help![/quote]

No problems with DHA at 9V, just a lower output level.

looked at the Diago site and will contact them as I think it will work with more of my pedals than they think.

Current rating is the issue, so Vt1's need 150mA+, Vt2's 300mA+ - at start up there is a lot more current drawn that's why we recommend 1200mA supplies, but 400-600mA will be fine.

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='633152' date='Oct 22 2009, 07:37 AM']I'm now awaiting delivery of a shiny new Diago power supply. Got the powerstation plus two daisy chains and a red adapter to change the polarity of the 2.1mm barrel for the DHA. Cheers for the input everyone![/quote]

How did it go powering the VT-1 with the Diago and the red adaptor; curious as I think I will be going down the same route to power my board and I have VT-2?