Why become a member? ×

MusicMan Sterling

dub_junkie

• 1 month later...

I've got a music man sterling too, i got it imported from america, got the serial number checked out, turns out it was made in '96, and plays so much better than sterlings made around the last few years.

do you know the serial number's letter on your sterling?

i prefer them over the Rays as that have that kick the stingrays give, that iconic music man growl, while keeping a really nice light, bright tone that can be used for alot more styles of music than the ray.

i did spend a while trying to chose over the sterling or the stingray, but in the end the sterling came one top for me, much faster, slimmer neck, more frets, 3 way coil switch and a smaller, lighter body and also, as mentioned before, the sound. played through a line 6 lowdown 150 with me, beautiful, crisp, sharp tone, good for drive and melodic lines.

i'd give the sterling a 9/10 too, the only problem being that there isnt an amazing amount of low end to balance the mid and highs, but tbh, thats what the eq is for!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='chilisfan16' post='502219' date='May 31 2009, 12:35 PM']do you know the serial number's letter on your sterling?[/quote]

if you mean the letter that preceeds the numbers,Sterlings and Bongos begin with "F" and SR4/5 begin with "E"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well I stand corrected, I was quoting what Dan at EBMM customer services posted on the MM Boards. I've had 4 sterlings and they were all prefixed with the F but then again they were all '99 and later.

maybe D applied to only Sterlings (or maybe just the basses) from the period yours was made but up to about '97 or so I know musicmans used the first 2 digits showing the year eg 96***. I still have a MM six stringer with that type of serial and the older logo on a recessed neckplate.

enjoy the bass, I'm soon after a Sterling again (been too long without)

cheers

• 6 years later...