Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Musicman Ray 34

OutToPlayJazz

Hi guys,

Well, a bit of an impulse purchase at Electro today. Happened on one of the new Sterling Ray 34's in a fetching solid black. Very nice bass, excellent Indonesian construction and quality control. It plays and sounds just like the American bass. Changed over the Ernie Ball (not very) slinkys & put on some DR Sunbeam 45's. Too heavy for me, but they'll do until I can get some lighter fatbeams on there. Also reset the neck with just the slightest hint of relief, so it's very fast and playable now (apart from the barge rope strings!) Preamp is epic with massive highs and lows. Best Ray of any kind I've played in a long time! Very very impressed! Will take some pics tomorrow & maybe do a review...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Brother!

Thee are on a spendeth spendeth spendeth spree at the minute! You'll be catching up thine younger brother at this rate!

Thats really spooky, I tried one out a few weeks ago at The Bass Merchant - same colour! They really are well made and very good value for money! I was down there again earlier today following a gig cancellation so I had a bit of time down there and have fallen in love with two lovely ladies.....more to follow later this week!

Nick

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='629141' date='Oct 17 2009, 11:03 PM']Hi guys,

Well, a bit of an impulse purchase at Electro today. Happened on one of the new Sterling Ray 34's in a fetching solid black. Very nice bass, excellent Indonesian construction and quality control. It plays and sounds just like the American bass. Changed over the Ernie Ball (not very) slinkys & put on some DR Sunbeam 45's. Too heavy for me, but they'll do until I can get some lighter fatbeams on there. Also reset the neck with just the slightest hint of relief, so it's very fast and playable now (apart from the barge rope strings!) Preamp is epic with massive highs and lows. Best Ray of any kind I've played in a long time! Very very impressed! Will take some pics tomorrow & maybe do a review...

[/quote]

That's a beautiful bass you have there! I love it: black, rosewood and matching headstock .... Awesome!

What's the neck like? Same dimensions as on a Stingray? Also unfinished?

[quote]That's a beautiful bass you have there! I love it: black, rosewood and matching headstock .... Awesome!

What's the neck like? Same dimensions as on a Stingray? Also unfinished?[/quote]

The neck has a very high quality finish. The back of the headstock has a gloss finish which ends at the top of the neck - The neck itself has a satin finish. Basically, spec is just like a US Ray, apart from the swamp ash body. Electrics & hardware are all proper MM as well. They're a steal and sound just like the US bass. Think of these as an equivalent to a MIM bass, with excellent quality control.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz