Why become a member? ×

My 'Frank'-Encore jazz bass

lex_luthier

I put this bass together from a body and hardware I bought from Ebay and a left-handed Encore P-bass neck I part exchanged with a mate of mine.

I 'reliced' the body and hardware (and the beer-label sticker), sanded the back of the neck to get rid of the high gloss and wired it up with a Artec passive tone eq pot.

It's perfect for gigging with coz I don't care if it gets damaged.

The action's high to accomodate the fret buzz probs I had and it works for me coz I really hammer the strings on stage (causing many blisters!!!)

Also put a piece of walnut-veneered mdf on as a 'ramp' where I play coz when I rooted my thumb on the 'skinny' pickup I kept falling off and when rooted on the string above the one I was playing it used to keep falling through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically it's a rough piece of crap but I love the old girl :)!!!

[quote name='peted' post='68810' date='Oct 2 2007, 09:00 PM']That does look great. I really like it. I'd like to know if the pickups are anything special too?[/quote]

No just stock, non-brand jazz pickups off ebay, I wanted cream ones and didn't want to spend too much on them cause they were 'reliced-up' too.

In fact at the last band practice they started to pickup the female singer from a band in another practice room!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='lwtait' post='69703' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:08 PM']cool bass, I especially like the lefty neck, it looks great!

how did you relic the body? it looks very realistic to me.[/quote]

It was a poly finish bass so it wouldn't relic like nitro (as on actual old basses) so I just tried to recreate the kind of weathering and damage you'd get on this type of body.

I ran a heat gun on full heat over the whole body (if you don't stay in one place too long it doesn't bubble up) and let it cool down, I did this 4 or 5 times which cracked the lacquer finish in areas and brings the grain out.

Then I chipped and dented it with a set of keys on a chain, I did this quite heavily in the usual wear areas.

then I put on the pick guard and hardware on, scratched it all with the keys then rubbed it all over with brown shoe polish which I rubbed off the excess ( It looks like the kind of dirt and grime you get collecting around the pickguard and stuff and also made the grain in the exposed wood look dirty)

Its not meant to be a genuine looking relic I just always wanted a f*$ked up old bass that I could chuck around on stage.

I've always been so heavy handed when I play on stage I need the action quite high anyway.

[quote name='paul, the' post='69801' date='Oct 5 2007, 01:25 AM']I just love it when people make a bass their own. So many bassists leave their bass stock and sterile.

This, I love.[/quote]

it'll be some time before I mess with my new Squier... it's just so right as it is... the only thing I'm currently planning to do with it is to install a good set of sm77 Jazz flats when the current set of strings are really dead...

I'm tempted to go a little wild with one of my old Encore P-bass clones though... thinking of installing an extra split P pickup up at the neck or else a humbucker up there and stick a jazz pickup down by the bridge...

[quote name='lex_luthier' post='67768' date='Sep 30 2007, 05:39 PM']I put this bass together from a body and hardware I bought from Ebay and a left-handed Encore P-bass neck I part exchanged with a mate of mine.

I 'reliced' the body and hardware (and the beer-label sticker), sanded the back of the neck to get rid of the high gloss and wired it up with a Artec passive tone eq pot.

It's perfect for gigging with coz I don't care if it gets damaged.

The action's high to accomodate the fret buzz probs I had and it works for me coz I really hammer the strings on stage (causing many blisters!!!)

Also put a piece of walnut-veneered mdf on as a 'ramp' where I play coz when I rooted my thumb on the 'skinny' pickup I kept falling off and when rooted on the string above the one I was playing it used to keep falling through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically it's a rough piece of crap but I love the old girl :)!!!

[/quote]

Very nice looking bass , love the P Neck on the Jazz body. You should have a setup done on that bass and have some Dimarzios installed instead of the cheapo ebay p/ups. I think you could really turn that into a nice bass with a small amount of work