Why become a member? ×

Stingray 4

Amazoman

Hi,
I know that i have posted this in the technical section but have had no replies. Maybe few people look in there!!

Hope the mods don't mind me re-posting here as I am desperate to know what to try next.

Recently took delivery of my Stingray 4 (second hand off e-bay). Initially had a problem with crackles, weak and fading sound. I removed the control knob cover and gave the pots a squirt of electrical spray cleaner. Also inserted a brand new battery. It appears to have cured some of the issues ie It plays, no crackles, volume knob controls the volume, BUT! The other [b]three knobs seem to do absolutely nothing[/b] and makes no difference to the tone or bass of the note being played.

Key question
Is it possible for the pre amp to have shot it and yet still play with reasonable volume? The volume is much greater than when I take the battery out completely ie passive so I assume it isn't a battery wire problem

I expected the sound to be much punchier than it is.
When I opened up the control cavity all of the wires looked fine and attached but then again I am no expert and would not know how to test them.
Any suggestions what to do next?

I don't know if this applies to a 'Ray, but I know a lot of Active Basses (without passive bypasses) will either make no sound at all or an awful buzzing.
Has the EQ been bypassed, I wonder?
TBH, I probably wouldn't be able to tell either.
Perhaps a visit to a knowledgeable tech will help.
That or wait for one of the electronically gifted members to pop up here.
They may ask for a detailed photo, though...

You posted your original thread YESTERDAY.

Have some patience for godsake, the technical forum runs at a slower pace but offers very valuable advice.

Besides, I wasn't aware 'rays had a passive option at all. I suspect as it's 2nd hand there's been shenanigans.

[quote name='Buzz' post='626264' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:28 PM']You posted your original thread YESTERDAY.

Have some patience for godsake, the technical forum runs at a slower pace but offers very valuable advice.

Besides, I wasn't aware 'rays had a passive option at all. I suspect as it's 2nd hand there's been shenanigans.[/quote]Bit harsh, the guys obviously worried that his bass has a problem, which it sounds like it has.
I'd get it to a reputable tech asap, let the original seller know what the problems are and tell them that they will be liable to pay for the repairs.

Here's a brilliant resource for MusicMan basses, this may help if you can find out the year of the bass in the serial numbers section, then check the type of preamp.
[url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0019.htm"]http://www.musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0019.htm[/url]
Good luck
Steve.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='626275' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:43 PM']I'd get it to a reputable tech asap, let the original seller know what the problems are and tell them that they will be liable to pay for the repairs.

Here's a brilliant resource for MusicMan basses, this may help if you can find out the year of the bass in the serial numbers section, then check the type of preamp.
[url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0019.htm"]http://www.musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0019.htm[/url]
Good luck
Steve.[/quote]

I agree with SS, sounds like there's something going on with the wiring/pre here.

Without the battery you should get bugger all sound and with the battery you should get a healthy dollop of cut and boost on the bass/mid/treble knobs. Get a tech to have a look see.

[quote name='martthebass' post='626319' date='Oct 14 2009, 07:49 PM']I agree with SS, sounds like there's something going on with the wiring/pre here.

Without the battery you should get bugger all sound and with the battery you should get a healthy dollop of cut and boost on the bass/mid/treble knobs. Get a tech to have a look see.[/quote]
Well if thats correct then the fact its playing passive means it has a bad earth or has been rewired right?

+1 on the tech.
it will be well worth your while to pop it in somwhere and have a word with them about it. Make sure its a good tech tho, im sure if you tell people on here where you live they will tell you a good tech in your area.

Thanks Guys for the positive comments and the useful link.

I live between Derby and Nottingham and have spoken to the people at Rattle and Drum in Derby. They will have a look and try and repair or they say they would send it to Strings and Things in Brighton, the UK distributors for Musicman.

I am sure it will be sorted but it will obviously cost a fair bit.