Why become a member? ×

All change, new pre and p/ups in my Sei

sshorepunk

Gonna start this now, the next week will see a big change being made to my 5 string Sei Jazz

It's currently running a pair of Bart' soap bars through a Bart' pre amp. The pre is 3 band with 2, 3 way switches for coil selection .

Into it I am putting, a pair of Nordstrand Humbuckers and an East pre, with a switch added for the side neck LED's. No coil selection switches, no series / par' switches. The p/ups are going in, wired in series.

I'll upload a picture of the bass, pre overhaul, later today

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='625711' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:13 AM']Gonna start this now, the next week will see a big change being made to my 5 string Sei Jazz

It's currently running a pair of Bart' soap bars through a Bart' pre amp. The pre is 3 band with 2, 3 way switches for coil selection .

Into it I am putting, a pair of Nordstrand Humbuckers and an East pre, with a switch added for the side neck LED's. No coil selection switches, no series / par' switches. The p/ups are going in, wired in series.

I'll upload a picture of the bass, pre overhaul, later today

Tony[/quote]

Are you putting in 'off the shelf' U-Retro Tony?

Peter

Yes, they are a good pre, plenty of users on here agree, I also had one fitted in a Modulus Jazz a few years back!

I've got a rehersal on Thursday and a gig on Tuesday, so plenty of time to get this done, always got the fretless Pedulla (which I can play the full set on) and a couple of 4 string P basses as back up :)

T

Started work on this last night!

First big probelm, the p/ups don't fit. I knew the Nordys were listed on the site as direct replacements for Bart humbuckers, I should have double checked the sizes, but didn't, anyway, they dont fit, they are too narrow and the mounting holes are in the wrong place.
Not too concerned right now, just gonna leave the barts in and fit the J-retro

Removed the old pre amp last night, had to desolder the jack socket in order to fit it, couldn't get all the wires thru the channle to the jack, so ended up enlarging it. eventua;lly got everything thru and soldered the jack back on. Thats were it finished last night, so shpould have it done tonight.
The barts are going in, in series and the wires are set up now ready to into the terminas on the J-rtro

I may revisit one of the joints on the jack tonight, I wasn't 100% happy last night, my sodler wasn't playing ball, some new solder today should sort it

Hopefully all done tonight

Anyone up for a pair of Nordstrand dual coils?

Tony

Not so much a dislike for the sound of the Bart' pre, the top end sometimes seemed all or nothing though! The layout was difficult, 4 pots and 2 switches squeezed onto the plate was difficult at times, I was knocking th coil selector switches when moving pots.
I could have just took them out and fitted a new plate, but felt like trying something different, and being familiar with the East, I went that route!

This is now fitted and working, had to cut the jack plug off the east and thread the wires through to the existing jack, was very difficult, had to open up the very tight channel in order to do it. Also had a problem with the passive tone pot connections touching a painted earthing point at one end of the cavity. I dropped a strip of tape over it and it worked fine.

Sound is nice, a little compressed compared to the Bart pre, not as open, if that makes sense? Nice to have the overall tone control just to roll off or add top end
I got a reherasal and gig tomorrow night so should have a better opinion then, but for now, it seems to suit what I'm doing right now.

I have an additional switch on this, opposite the active passive switch, this is for side of neck LED's. This makes 3 switches on the plate, but the switches John uses are tiny compared to the switches you need for coil selection, so even though I've gone from two to three, the size and layout makes the switches less obtrusive.
I've got no pickgaurd on the bass right now as I need to sand it down in the cut out where the plate fits, as its a very tight fit!

I have photo's, will post them when I get chance

Would like to try and audere at some point though, would be an intresting comparison

Tony