Why become a member? ×

Slightly different Prec Vs Jazz Thread

Musicman20

Hi chaps/ladies

Ive been scouting about for another bass to use as my main bass. Ive used my MIJ Precision for years, and loved it. It still virtually looks new...but is now sold.

I wanted to get a USA Fender model to replace it, to use as my main gigging bass. Ive found a J and P at a good price new, its just deciding which work 'best' as a main bass.

Use my other basses you say? Oh I will, but not as often. I intend to swap between them every now and then.

But, whilst the new Fenders are on a bit of a roll, and theyve finally sorted the problems of QC out (mostly!) I thought why the hell not get one whilst ive got a good quote. Ive sold a fair amount of gear so I can just afford it.

Its got to be Olympic White + Tort guard, and rosewood always seems to 'look' better with constant use.

I just cannot decide whether to get the Jazz or Precision. I love both tones! Im thinking the Precision might be best for just getting to a gig, plugging in, and having no issues cutting through, even though that Jazz tone is amazing.

If I go for P, i'd have two P's, one J, one 5 string J when it turns up, and 2 Stingrays. Overkill? Yes, but you only live once. A lot cheaper than buying a high end car and watching it depreciate really quickly!

In my situation, which would you go for? The P or the J? I cant see a downfall with either of them. They BOTH work well for me.

(I did consider other basses, but after losing money experimenting with other types of basses, and Fender Deluxe / P+J Fenders, I want to stick with what I like and I know works!)

I'd spend some time gigging with the J and P you have now, and see which one you feel suits your sound the best, and call it that way. If you're looking for something to be your long term 'main' instrument, you're in the lucky position of having your two top choices already, so take your time and see what works!

[quote name='mike257' post='623391' date='Oct 11 2009, 07:45 PM']I'd spend some time gigging with the J and P you have now, and see which one you feel suits your sound the best, and call it that way. If you're looking for something to be your long term 'main' instrument, you're in the lucky position of having your two top choices already, so take your time and see what works![/quote]

Good advice

I realise I am lucky.....I have a very good position with money until the end of this year, then im going to be moving and wont have the cash anymore. Plus Ive sold my car to move to London and share the girlfs....but eventually she will sell hers as well. Tube is the future.

Over the past 5-6 years ive barely bought any gear, then this year I went mad. I think because I discovered I could buy/sell well on here and also find the 'right' gear much quicker.

I'd have to agree with Mike... I've a P and a J and I love em both... depends on what material I'm playing and who I'm playing with which bass I choose.

I've had to loose my other two top flighters so these are my only choice and I'm keeping them.... I hope!