Why become a member? ×

buzzing fret

Master blaster

I've recently discovered that my thumb bass has a buzzing 6th fret on the E string. I no this doesn't effect the sound though that amp or anything, but this is an 88 thumb in mint condition (no dings or nothing). Is there anything i will be able to do to get rid of this most annoying buzz? Or is it something i will just have to live with?

I haven't posted on here for months. I hope everyone is ok

Cheers

Have you done a set up - checked the relief etc?

When I bought my mustang it had roundwounds on with quite high action, but when I set it up low with TI324s it was buzzing on a few frets and nothing I could do helped. Got a fret dress from the gallery and now its setup exactly as I like it & plays easily with no fretbuzz.

[quote name='Master blaster' post='623277' date='Oct 11 2009, 06:11 PM']I've recently discovered that my thumb bass has a buzzing 6th fret on the E string. I no this doesn't effect the sound though that amp or anything, but this is an 88 thumb in mint condition (no dings or nothing). Is there anything i will be able to do to get rid of this most annoying buzz? Or is it something i will just have to live with?

I haven't posted on here for months. I hope everyone is ok

Cheers[/quote]

is it slack or is it the E string needing adjustment via the truss or saddle...buzz on open E?

Wear probably. Could also be a change in temperature. Maybe it will settle after a while.

If you think about it, it doesn't take much for the string to rattle on the next fret, especially if your action is low. Maybe it's time for a checkup with a pro. A '88 Thumb is an old horse!

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

Given that this is an nice `old' Warwick, it will have the famed adjustable brass nut - might be an idea to check the string height at this point (the nut!) to make sure nothing has moved etc. Also, have you looked to see if there is any `dink' on the underside of the string itself where its buzzing? A new string would thus relieve the problem.

Definitely get it checked out by a reputable luthier as a matter of course and if there is a high fret, go for a fret dress as already noted!

ATB

Nick

[quote name='Master blaster' post='623570' date='Oct 11 2009, 10:29 PM']its been the same setup since ive had had, even using the same type/gauge string, it and its only just started buzzing.[/quote]
Most likely it just needs a setup then. Probably just a truss rod tweak. Most basses need this twice a year as the seasons change. - well mine do anyway.