Why become a member? ×

What's it worth? Squier 20th anniversary Jazz?

OldGit

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='66967' date='Sep 28 2007, 03:34 PM']and i'd still offer them 25% less than that as a starting point!![/quote]

I disagree.

If you offer 25% less as a starting figure, you leave yourself [b]VERY[/b] little room for movement thereafter.

I'd respectfully suggest you start at 50% of the asking price and be prepared to walk away [b]QUICKLY [/b]if you don't get the reaction you want.

Not rocket science, but it never ceases to amaze me how few people are able (or willing?) to haggle effectively. :) :huh:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='66986' date='Sep 28 2007, 04:12 PM']Not rocket science, but it never ceases to amaze me how few people are able (or willing?) to haggle effectively. :) :huh:[/quote]

is that aimed at the vendor or the buyer??

Speaking from experience of trying to haggle stuff down in crack convertors, they won't budge much past 15% for whatever reason, although their selection of sh*te usually isn't worth having so this could be decent find if the price is right.

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='66967' date='Sep 28 2007, 03:34 PM']and i'd still offer them 25% less than that as a starting point!![/quote]

Tried that .. "It's got to be in for 12 weeks before we will take an offer"
It's £90 and battered and not a nice battered .. just normal neglect ..
Thanks Chaps

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='66990' date='Sep 28 2007, 04:23 PM']is that aimed at the vendor or the buyer??

Speaking from experience of trying to haggle stuff down in crack convertors, they won't budge much past 15% for whatever reason, although their selection of sh*te usually isn't worth having so this could be decent find if the price is right.[/quote]

It was aimed at the buyer. Vendors are usually more than competent in my experience. :)

They'll no doubt [b]rip your arm off [/b]if you offer then [b]£50[/b] after it's been there 12 weeks and, at that price, I'd have thought it worth buying as a project if nothing else. :huh: :huh:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='67021' date='Sep 28 2007, 05:11 PM']It was aimed at the buyer. Vendors are usually more than competent in my experience. :)[/quote]

Not necessarily, although I suppose different people have different ways of doing business and different tactics work in different shops/private sales/etc for different types of goods and services.

[quote name='OldGit' post='67014' date='Sep 28 2007, 05:02 PM']Tried that .. "It's got to be in for 12 weeks before we will take an offer"
It's £90 and battered and not a nice battered .. just normal neglect ..
Thanks Chaps[/quote]

i think normal neglect looks better than when you try to batter it anyway, seems more natural and realistic than "relics".

[quote name='lwtait' post='67096' date='Sep 28 2007, 08:20 PM']i think normal neglect looks better than when you try to batter it anyway, seems more natural and realistic than "relics".[/quote]

Sure but playing wear is different to the sort neglect it gets under a bed or in a teenagers bedroom for a year without a case ..

They had a SG shaped Les Paul special in last week at £70 .. when I went back it had become 100 quid :huh: "oh the bloke that knows about guitars has been round" they said :) Sadly he has priced it right ... again no offers for 12 weeks ...
That had wear and tear from being played - the plating was worn off the humbuckers etc ..

That's Ok but the Jazz has the kind of damage you get when the kid just doen't care ..

Anyway it will sell at £90 as its a piece of gold compared to the rest of the basses they get ...

MB1. :)

Still cant get over the guy who bought that Wal in the cash convertors in Bolton for £120,seems the guy in the know,hadnt been to Bolton for quite some time.
The guy who bought it then went on to sell it for £1200 on Ebay!.Being in the right place at the right time?....

[quote name='MB1' post='67497' date='Sep 29 2007, 09:02 PM']MB1. :)

Still cant get over the guy who bought that Wal in the cash convertors in Bolton for £120,seems the guy in the know,hadnt been to Bolton for quite some time.
The guy who bought it then went on to sell it for £1200 on Ebay!.Being in the right place at the right time?....[/quote]

Yeah a friend of mine was 3 places back in the queue for Smith 6 string bass on sale for £120 ...

[quote name='MB1' post='67940' date='Sep 30 2007, 11:57 PM'][quote name='OldGit' post='67667' date='Sep 30 2007, 02:05 PM']
Yeah a friend of mine was 3 places back in the queue for Smith 6 string bass on sale for £120 ...

MB1. :)
sounds like....... you dont believe me O.G?.[/quote]
[/quote]

I believe you, MB!
My friend really did miss the Smith .. I was gutted cos I was going to buy it off him as he plays gu!tar
Mind you I'm amazed anyone can sell these super cheap things on ebay .. it must have had somewhat dodgy provenance