Why become a member? ×

PA DI

mik900

I am using an SVT 3 Pro through a B-410HLF. I also use a Zoom B2 pedal just for a bit of distortion and tuning this is just connected via amp input at front and guitar going into the Zoom. We are looking to put some guitars through our PA during gigs. Can I just use the line out from the back of the amp into the desk and if so will I get the effect from my Zoom B2 through the PA. If so should I use send / return for the Zoom? Or am I best to use a DI unit? straight from amp input??
Any help will be much appreciated.
Mike

Don't know the amp, but if your effect pedal is between the guitar and amp then yes, you'll get your effect when using the line out of the amp. Wouldn't imagine you'd need a DI box with such a quality amp, must have a decent line out facility.

If you use the effects loop it'll depend if you have an option/switch to send the signal pre or post eq. If you use pre eq then it will most likely be pre effect, so no effect just the signal from your bass to the PA.

That's how I do it cos' I don't want what I do to monitor myself to affect the PA sound.

To get your effect to the PA you'd need the post eq/effect loop option.

Hope that's clear, it doesn't look it to me rereading it. :)

Edited by Les

remember line out is different to a D.I so make sure the xlr output says D.I and not line out. just looked at the manual and the balanced lineout has a level pot so that should be fine. i say this because my sunn 300t that i had has an XLR line out and i thought it was the same as a D.I but it isn't. the signal coming out was hot as hell.

also distortion pedals shouldn't go in the fx loop ever really. that's just for delays, chorus etc

[quote name='nash' post='618886' date='Oct 6 2009, 06:53 PM']also distortion pedals shouldn't go in the fx loop ever really. that's just for delays, chorus etc[/quote]

I'll bow to your experience there Nash, having never used an effect on my bass.

Sorry to hijack your thread Mik900 but I am actually thinking of a compressor. Where would that go ? Effects loop or in line before the amp ?

[quote name='Les' post='618899' date='Oct 6 2009, 07:07 PM']I'll bow to your experience there Nash, having never used an effect on my bass.

Sorry to hijack your thread Mik900 but I am actually thinking of a compressor. Where would that go ? Effects loop or in line before the amp ?[/quote]
Try both and see what you prefere. I use my comp before the input.