Why become a member? ×

What bass to take with me to France?

Jobiebass

Ive been offered a job at a ski resort for the winter in Meribel France. Dicks Tea Bar nightclub if any of you are out there this season.

I want to take a bass with me but I only have my Shuker and my fretless left after i sold my others. I dont really fancy taking my shuker cause I dont want to damage it, and My fretless needs some work to make it work right (wiring itsnt great and cuts out, needs the action sorting hugely)

So im wondering, should I buy a new bass to take with me or should I bubble wrap the hell out of my shuker and take it in 2 bits?

Im not exactly flush at the mo so I dont really wanna buy anything too expensive to take out there, and in all honesty I dont really want a new bass becuase im REALLY happy with my shuker.

I wouldnt mind a Geddy Lee tho, I suppose I could buy a cheep one of those and take that, can always sell it again when I get home. How much do they go for 2nd hand?

Cheep geddy? cheep MIM jazz or something? take my shuker? Or does someone wanna lend me a bass for the winter? haha

Cheers

Edited by Jobiebass

Buy a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squier? If it gets damaged it gets damaged, won't lose too much if you decide to sell on after the season either.

Then again, you got the Shuker made so you can play the bass you want to play, seems a waste not to take it and use it although I do understand you don't want to risk damage to a ~£1k+ instrument but on the other hand, it's not like it's a Stradivarius or similar is it?

Edited by Buzz

Those Vintage Modified are quite nice actually. Id really consider one of those if I could find one cheap enough.

Just looking for something with a nice action and nice neck profile, it'll prob get sold on when I get home anyways but I dont wanna loose money on it if I can help it.

I recs I could bubble wrap the sh*t out of any bass and take it in my board bag no problem at all. but living with a load of people in a nightclub might have its drawbacks, im not always gonna be around when people are in my room. I dont really want them messing about with my shuker, its my pride and joy.

[quote name='The Funk' post='618127' date='Oct 5 2009, 11:57 PM']Don't take the Shuker. Get a cheapo Jazz of some kind. Nothing wrong with taking a well set-up Squier.

Congratulations btw! You're going to have such a great time![/quote]

+1

Plus i think your avatar is funking awesome

I did six months in Grenoble in 2006 (no, not skiing, engineering - it was in the summer). When I arrived I just wenth through all of the second hand junk shops till I found a bass that I liked. When I left I gave it away, it was cheap enough.

EDIT Saying that, I wasnt doing gigs with it so maybe not the best idea for you.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='618337' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:54 AM']I did six months in Grenoble in 2006 (no, not skiing, engineering - it was in the summer). When I arrived I just wenth through all of the second hand junk shops till I found a bass that I liked. When I left I gave it away, it was cheap enough.

EDIT Saying that, I wasnt doing gigs with it so maybe not the best idea for you.[/quote]

Had a quick look but couldnt find any music shops in Meribel.

Im not gigging out there, im working in the kitchen of a pizza express thats attached to the nightclub. Just going out for the snowboarding really but id miss my bass too much if I didnt take one.

Just want something to have a play about with when I cant ride that day. Plus I think one of the guys is taking his guitar too. which leads to another point, I need some type of amplification. Might buy one of those crappy guitar clip on things Jack Black uses in School of Rock, will sound TERRIBLE but at least its noise.

If you don't mind a six'er and you want to drop by, I can lend you an Aria passive 6. Fab action and for a six, very easy to play with a nice tonal pallette for an inexpensive bass. Got a gig bag too. (And a practice amp)

It's here if you want it for the winter.

Edited by leschirons

I played in a band in Meribel for the winter season 2000/1. We were doing 10 gigs a week and our gear got hammered. Doing apres ski gigs at the Rond Point packed with pissed up punters in ski boots all took it's toll - especially when they were crowd surfing! The worst casualty was our keyboard as it was right in the firing line - it drunk its fair share of beer and toffee vodka. I wish I had saved the answerphone message from the repair guy I took it to when we got back. He was amazed that it worked at all and offered kindly to put it in the skip.

All the accommodation is shared and I think you'd be lucky to find somewhere safe and lockable to keep your bass. That being said, everyone is in the same boat and there was a really great community vibe and I never heard of anyone's stuff being stolen whilst I was there. It might just be less of a worry for you if you had a cheaper bass that you weren't so attached to.

I guess that live band circuit is still going so you should get to know the players and you might even get to do a few gigs. There's always band members going down with illness and injuries. In our days they were playing at the Rond Point, Le Pub, Dicks Tea Bar and the Ski Lodge in La Tania.

I found this old article about us still up on the web 8 years later:
[url="http://natives.co.uk/news/2001/0201/06superfly.htm"]http://natives.co.uk/news/2001/0201/06superfly.htm[/url]
I'm playing my old Musicman 5 and wearing a dodgy wifebeater - it was hot!

Andrew