Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Jazz vs American Series Jazz 08/09

Musicman20

Im selling my MIJ Precision and going for another USA P or Jazz...im leaning towards the Jazz.

But....what advantages would a Geddy Lee have over the American Series? They are quite close in price now.

Ive seen the new Jazzes for £799-£830 for a straight colour, and the Geddy for about £700 ish.

Anyone want to comment?

I heard a Geddy Lee the other day....through a standard cab/amp....wow....the tone cuts RIGHT through.

I just wanted to know what the build quality is like.

The thinner than standard neck on the Geddy may cause some issues. I had one a while back & lovely though it was, as soon as I put on thinner strings, the neck was all over the place. I don't know if it's the extra thinness combined with the lack of the graphite support rods, but it seemed to literally change with the weather. I was resetting the relief almost weekly to keep it in check.

Also, the Geddy uses the vintage US pickups, so you get a lot of hum when not touching the strings, whereas the new US ones are virtually silent in this respect.

So from personal experience I'd definitely go for the new American Standard. It's the best bass Fender has made in a very long time.

I have an American standard and used to own a Geddy, the Standard American is in my opinion superior to the Geddy, in finish and tone - if you have the extra dosh go for the American.

Also as mentioned the neck takes some getting used to as its so thin, a bit like playing a Ricky 360 12 string guitar my fingers at speed used to fly off the neck!

Not mentioned but a nice alternative is a Marcus Miller, you can pick a second hand one up for between £500 and £600.

Cheers,

Steve.

I've played both and really like both
Reason for liking the Geddy Lee:
Thin neck - i prefer the thin neck on the geddy lee as i prefer thin necks in general
badass bridge - i really like the way badass bridges change the way basses play

And thats it...

As for the american standard:
Noiseless pickups - no hum
choice of finishes - much more varied range than the Geddy
choice of string loading - yeah, i love the badass bridges but i do like the choice of through body or top loading
and everything else on the bass

So actually, yeah, i prefer the american standard and i'd go for that

I think I have to agree now. I play in very hot clubs normally, so I think a mega thin neck might be problematic.

Ive seen a Geddy for £679, and an American Standard for £799.....might not be able to get it dead on £799, but for the fact you get a proper case, and all the other great upgrades kinda stops the GAS for 70s pickup spacing and block inlays...(wish they were real inlays!)

Cheers for the advice. American Series P or J it is.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='617003' date='Oct 4 2009, 11:23 PM']I think I have to agree now. I play in very hot clubs normally, so I think a mega thin neck might be problematic.

Ive seen a Geddy for £679, and an American Standard for £799.....might not be able to get it dead on £799, but for the fact you get a proper case, and all the other great upgrades kinda stops the GAS for 70s pickup spacing and block inlays...(wish they were real inlays!)

Cheers for the advice. American Series P or J it is.[/quote]

Completely different beasts. For me, jazz wins hands down for versatility and pickup position. For others, the sheer simplicity and unmistakeable tone means a P bass everytime.