Why become a member? ×

New pre amp for my Sei?

sshorepunk

I'm after a new pre for my sei, currently running Bartolini P5's and a Bart' 3 band pre

Decided on a total refit a while back, was after a pair of Nordstrand dual coils, which I now have, thanks to "Nice Guy Homer"

Now the pre amp choice is proving difficult as I try to accomodate several of my requirements on a standard jazz style plate, with 4 pots and a body jack socket

I need some way of switching side, neck LED's on, these are now on the volume pot, which is push/pull I will probably run the pick ups in series, but it would be nice to have the option of using one switch to switch both p/ups into series or parallel.

The options I have, are as follows

J-retro deluxe - I've spoke to John about this already, he did a mod to one for Largo off this forum, that gives the facility to switch LED's. But as much as I love these pre's, having a mid frequency select pot as well as mid cut/boost, is more than I need, but nice to have. I like things very simple, 3 band eq, volume and blend. Plus there is no room to add any series/parallel switching

Audere - I emailed audere, their pre's are not able to be customised, so whilst the addition of any LED switch would be easy, thats about it

Aguilar - the model I looked at was the BP-3SK/PP: (Includes stacked Treble/Bass pot and separate Mid pot. Mid pot is push/pull for Midrange frequency selection) Not sure if this will fit in my cavity though (ooooh err missus!) would probably get the guys at the gallery to sort this for me, maybe the series parallel switching can be squeezed in there

Nordstrand - same situation as the aguilar pre, but a load of additional info on the website about changing the mid frequency with capacitors! Would run this as it came, my amp is capable of any additional mid' requirements I have

Probably worth mentioning that I have a seperate batery compartment in the bass

Any additional advice, comments would be appreciated

Cheers

Tony

Hiya

Have you looked into the ACG filter based pre-amps. You'll get a greater range of tone than any other pre imo and I suspect is would complement the Sei perfectly.

I'm a fan of the Retro series, John East makes the ACG pre too.

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php[/url]

You're welcome to try mine out if you're passing :)

Thanks for the input guys, it's all sinking in!

I will be sticking with a regular pre as opposed to a filter based pre at this time, just trying to work out the best way to squeeze everything in!!

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

Hi Tony

As you already know, I have the J-Retro deluxe in my Sei and Shuker and it's a great preamp. The way John has wired it for me is the active/passive switch is now used for the LED's and the passive tone control has a pull switch. So I pull the passive tone control, the bass goes into passive-mode and the passive tone control works. He made it so that the passive tone control doesn't work in active mode (my choice) as I thought the 3-band EQ was more than enough when active.

Maybe John could wire the pickup selector switch for series/parallel and hardwire both pickups on when playing in passive?

I love it when you say you want a simple circuit (no mid freq control) ... all you need is .... vol / blend / 3-band EQ / series&parallel / LED's ....

Good luck with the search

Stephen

Yes, it ain't that simple!

By simple, I meant, I want to go down the regular bass, mid, treble route and avoid having too many switches, so using push/pull pots where possible

I think I am going to stay with the p/ups in series (simple job to change later) and get john to squeeze in a small switch for the LED's, or go the route you went with the push/pull pot on the passive tone.

Cheers

Tony

I wouldn't rule out using the mid shift control on a john east pre. I thought I wouldn't be using it much but discovered I really liked a bit of boost around 200Hz.
It is such a useful feature.
I think that the john east would be ideal.