Why become a member? ×

Let's jam!

carlosfandango

Hello Folks,
A mate of mine pulled together this list of jam sessions in the South East incl London. Most of them are jazz sessions but some of them also do blues, rock, pop etc. As you can see there are sessions basically every day of the week. So – get up, get on the scene, get on uppa……

See you there!

PS. Just got back from a really good session at Havan BA
ar in Windsor...Played for 1 1/2 hour....stuff by James Brown, Jaco, Stevie Wonder, Johnson Bros, Mingue, Miles.....wicked!

Darn - how do I upload an excel file????

Edited by carlosfandango

• 4 months later...

[quote name='NickThomas' post='138391' date='Feb 11 2008, 06:52 PM']Did this ever get sorted? I wonder if not , maybe people could post here decent jam nights they know of or attend ?

Cheers,

Nick.[/quote]

Sunday 4:30 - 8:00 @ The Red Lion in Twickenham (aka Filthy McNasty's) (*)
Monday @ The Cardinal Wolseley in Hampton Court
Tuesday @ The Drayton Court in West Ealing (*)
Tuesday @ The Grey Horse in Kingston
Tuesday @ The Spice Of Life in WC1
Thursday @ The Tune Inn in Acton High Street (*)
Thursday @ The FiftyFive in Camden
Thursday @ The Woodmans in Wimbledon

There are many more, of course. These are the ones I've played at or (*) still play at regularly.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='138482' date='Feb 11 2008, 09:32 PM']Sunday 4:30 - 8:00 @ The Red Lion in Twickenham (aka Filthy McNasty's) (*)
Monday @ The Cardinal Wolseley in Hampton Court
Tuesday @ The Drayton Court in West Ealing (*)
Tuesday @ The Grey Horse in Kingston
Tuesday @ The Spice Of Life in WC1
Thursday @ The Tune Inn in Acton High Street (*)
Thursday @ The FiftyFive in Camden
Thursday @ The Woodmans in Wimbledon

There are many more, of course. These are the ones I've played at or (*) still play at regularly.[/quote]

The Grey Horse .. isn't that Robin Bibi's affair?
One of these days I'll make it up there for that one. He has some class musicians there !

The Grey Horse is hosted on alternate weeks by Robin Bibi, who remains one of the best/nicest blues musicians in London. The weeks that Robin doesn't do still have the blues jam, but it's hosted by a much younger house band fronted by a guy called Lawrence - very impressive but ultra-flash. Robin's been doing this stuff for ages and runs more than one weekly jam, so organisation is slick. If you want to play, get there in good time. If you want a seat, get there early. You've been warned.

The FiftyFive is in the small room upstairs. Ground floor is a trendy 20-somethings bar with some [Warning - sexist comment approaching] seriously attractive women hanging around; I'm not sure what puts them off, that I have so little hair, or that what's left is so grey. Upstairs is friendly & intimate with 20 or so people in, and bloody crowded if you approach 30. I stopped going a few months back because Paul Fjelrad's (dis)organisation was beginning to get to me. Tiny stage. Music is mainly blues but strays easily into both funk and classic rock. Sometimes has a truly superb keyboards player.

I don't do jazz, though I'm in awe of the musicianship. If you want the best jazz jamming display in London check out the Global Talent Jam at the George IV pub in Chiswick High Road on the last Monday in each month. Rarely anything less than brilliant, sometimes astonishing.

Thanks for that kind sir!!!

I need to move to London...Grantham just doesn't do it for me, lol!!! I might check out the FiftyFive bar, if not for the music, for the lovely ladies you speak of, hehe...and because i have a friend who lives 5 mins away from there, so a place to lay my head is readily available :huh:

The George IV sounds interesting though :)

There's two in Eastbourne that I know of :

Beach Pub - Every Thursday ... well run, and sometimes brilliant. Occasional low attendance brings it down a peg or two sometimes.
Bay Hotel, Pevensey Bay - Every other Friday .... run by same people that run the above , and it only started last week so it's an unknown quantity at the moment. Roomy venue though and could take off :-)