Why become a member? ×

OLP musicman Ernie ball stingray

TRadford

I have a desire to get a Musicman style bass, I really like the look of them. A real one is way out of my league, so I have been mooching around and discovered what is described as a Musicman Ernieball OLP Stingray in my home town.
Now, I know Musicman is the real make, and this particualr bass is marked OLP on the headstock. Is Ernie Ball the owners/makers of Musicman then, as Im confused where they come into the picture.

On another note, how are they rated? All the reveiws I can find rate them well, but I'd like some real world views on how they are. What the neck like, is it thin/thick? fast/slow?

I really love my 5 string Dean, but Im just not getting the tone I want out of it. If I was playing metal (which is my main genre of choice to listen to) It would be great, but I dont really wanna play that, I wann play cleaner and funkier stuff. Im struggling getting the clean tone I want out of the Dean. I dont know if its me, or the amp or what.

I'd love to learn a bit of slap, so how do the OLP's cope with that?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but Im very short on cash and dont want to buy something I later regrett.

There's always my OLP Tony Levin in the for sale section :) .

OLPs were great Stingray style basses, but to me, not comparable to Musicman basses. Out of the box, mine played great, lots of thump, but lacking a little top end sparkle. Very different in tone to my MM 'ray.

The EQ was pretty poor on mine, although I've heard lots of people who really liked theirs. I changed both the pickup and the EQ for the best money can buy IMO, really as a project, and it's turned out very well, but at a price.

Think of it as a Stingray shaped bass, that has a personality of it's own, and your about there. Not a Musicman, but very nice in it's own right.

OLPs play well, look great, and in many cases sound great too, I think they're well worth the money for a nice one.

[quote name='Rayman' post='612492' date='Sep 29 2009, 09:24 PM']There's always my OLP Tony Levin in the for sale section :) .

OLPs were great Stingray style basses, but to me, not comparable to Musicman basses. Out of the box, mine played great, lots of thump, but lacking a little top end sparkle. Very different in tone to my MM 'ray.

The EQ was pretty poor on mine, although I've heard lots of people who really liked theirs. I changed both the pickup and the EQ for the best money can buy IMO, really as a project, and it's turned out very well, but at a price.

Think of it as a Stingray shaped bass, that has a personality of it's own, and your about there. Not a Musicman, but very nice in it's own right.

OLPs play well, look great, and in many cases sound great too, I think they're well worth the money for a nice one.[/quote]

I had spotted yours, but its beyond my budget at the moment unfortunately. Unless I can make a very hard desicion by selling some of my camera equipment, Im looking at around £150 max. Its down to what I want more. My photography that I have done for 10 years or bass that I have been doing for 4 weeks!

OLP basses are very nice for the money, i think it would suit the sound you're looking for more than the dean, though personally i haven't played one for a while. I think i did have a go on luke's (known as Tait round here) olp HH model, and it was a nice bass, or i at least heard it being played and it was a very funky sound. You can't go too far wrong with them, though as rayman said, they're not comparable to a real musicman. the build quality isn't good, they don't feel as good as the real thing and the sound isn't quite the same. Also i wouldn't imagine one of the passive ones would be as good at all... a passive musicman style bass seems to defeat the object a little bit to me. But, i think it should be a decent enough bass for you, and if you can find one you like then go for it.

Alternatively, you could go for a squier vintage modified jazz or something. It won't have the growl of the musicman-ness of the OLP, but it would still be a damn good bass and pretty funky sounding too if you played/eq'd it right.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='612684' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:34 AM']Also i wouldn't imagine one of the passive ones would be as good at all... a passive musicman style bass seems to defeat the object a little bit to me.[/quote]

Hi

Interested in why you say this. I have a OLP MM3 and rather like the passive tone, it has a nice bark to it. However I have never played the real thing so cant really compare. Am thinking of replacing the cheap electronics at some point but now wondering if I should go active? I have passive (pre) and active EQ (post) on my pre-amp already, would there be any value add in going active?

Thanks

BTW the OLP is rather good value IMHO. Electrics are a bit flimsy but it's lovely to play, sounds great and is very good looking.

[quote name='V4lve' post='612788' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:56 AM']Hi

Interested in why you say this. I have a OLP MM3 and rather like the passive tone, it has a nice bark to it. However I have never played the real thing so cant really compare. Am thinking of replacing the cheap electronics at some point but now wondering if I should go active? I have passive (pre) and active EQ (post) on my pre-amp already, would there be any value add in going active?

Thanks

BTW the OLP is rather good value IMHO. Electrics are a bit flimsy but it's lovely to play, sounds great and is very good looking.[/quote]
I might be talking complete tosh, but i think the preamp adds a bit of punch to the sound, even when run flat. i have a project mm bass that was running passive for a while, and i just couldn't get the sort of "in your face-ness" that my EBMM had. Plus i prefer to be able to shape my sound from the bass and run my amp pretty much flat, but that's just the way i do it. You should try out a stingray and see what you think of the electronics. You never know, passive basses could be just the ticket for you. Personally, i can't stand them.