Why become a member? ×

american standard jazz vs fender japan jazz

lowfer

Hi All,

looking for a bit of guidance, i have now decided that i am a jazz man through and through. I am going to be looking at replacing my music man in the near future with a jazz . I have found a new american standard Jazz for £799, however i have also spent some time looking at the fender jap jazz basses @ Guitar Emporium, i have narrowed this down to the 62 reissue with american vintage pick ups coming in at £759, would need to buy a heard case as don't get one. This is bringing the price up to a very simialr level. One advatage of the jap is the number of clours that are available.

Now to the question, which one is going to be the better bass and give me the best value for money against performance and re sale.

look forward to your responses

Cheers Nathan

[quote name='lowfer' post='611904' date='Sep 29 2009, 01:14 PM']Hi All,

looking for a bit of guidance, i have now decided that i am a jazz man through and through. I am going to be looking at replacing my music man in the near future with a jazz . I have found a new american standard Jazz for £799, however i have also spent some time looking at the fender jap jazz basses @ Guitar Emporium, i have narrowed this down to the 62 reissue with american vintage pick ups coming in at £759, would need to buy a heard case as don't get one. This is bringing the price up to a very simialr level. One advatage of the jap is the number of clours that are available.

Now to the question, which one is going to be the better bass and give me the best value for money against performance and re sale.

look forward to your responses

Cheers Nathan[/quote]
It's worth checking out a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne signature Jazz Bass with Lindy Fralin pick ups. It's modelled on a 62 with 3 knobs and I can vouch that it's a brilliant bass. Having said that, I also have an American Jazz bass (with S1 switching) that I put Seymour Duncan Vintage Pick ups into. What a difference they make!

Two great basses for sensible money.

Pete

Get the American - you won't be able to try out the Japanese one and the resale will be much better should you want to shift it in 6 months' time.
From what I've seen American standards are extremely good - and you won't get the nice SKB hard case from Japan either. The US ones also crop up in the for sale section fairly often so you could get yourself a bargain!