Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass guitar- frets or fretless

saxobass

Rheumatoid Arthritis in my wrists had stopped me playing my double bass and I would like to try the acoustic bass guitar as a (hopefully) `fill-in`alternative. I would like to know the differences between fretted and fretless varieties in terms of sound, playing feel and ease, and volume. Also, I was thinking of paying around £300 having been told this should get me something reasonably decent. I would like some recommendations, please, as getting info. seems difficult. So far I`ve looked at Crafter (BA 400 EQ), Dean, Tanglewood (Sundance TW55 A/bass FRB) Fender (Kingdom?) and Ashbury. Help needed please.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='601449' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:01 PM']While we're on the subject, can you just stick steel flats on an acoustic bass guitar? I wouldn't really want that bright bronzey guitar sound, but I don't know if regular bass strings work on an acoustic bass.[/quote]

As far as I know, normal electric bass strings are fine.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='601449' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:01 PM']While we're on the subject, can you just stick steel flats on an acoustic bass guitar? I wouldn't really want that bright bronzey guitar sound, but I don't know if regular bass strings work on an acoustic bass.[/quote]
I have Thomastik Jazz Flats on my acoustic. No problem but they are nickel not steel.

Edited by EssentialTension

• 2 weeks later...