Why become a member? ×

Eko B4 Fretless FS/FT

philw

All,

I have a shiny new Veillette acoustic bass on the way so my old Eko needs a good, appreciative home.

Depending on your point of view, an Eko B4 is either a delightful slice of classic 70s Italian lutherie, or the bass equivalent of a chocolate teapot. That being the case, I've really no idea how much it might be worth, although if we're talking trades, I'd really like a Squire/Fender P Bass of some description (a '51 style one would be nice). The Eko's the kind of bass that's worth nothing if you don't want one, but if it floats your boat, well they're pretty rare these days..... So anyway, I'm open to offers...

This particular Eko was bought new in the early 90s. It had sat in a warehouse and then the window of a music shop in Epsom (Bootleg, for those who know Epsom) for quite some time before my resistance failed and I walked in and made an offer that wasn't refused (£299 I think). I've used it mostly for noodling at home, writing sessions and a bit of recording but I've never dared use it live (it has no pickup). It's one of those basses that's lovely to have around but it's not, if I'm being totally honest the kind of thing that will get used every day. It has some lacquer cracking in the headstock and a repair in the body end where it got "holed" by the sharp corner of a table. Other than that, it's sound, stays in tune and is perfectly playable. Sounds lovely too, in an idiosyncratic sort of way.

Over to you.
Phil

PS. There's no way I'd ship the Eko, it's way too fragile, so it'd have to be a local pickup or some cooperative effort.

[attachment=32859:Eko_2.jpg]
[attachment=32860:Eko_3.jpg]
[attachment=32861:Eko_4.jpg]
[attachment=32862:Eko_5.jpg]
[attachment=32863:Eko_6.jpg]

Edited by philw

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='601860' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:35 PM']I played a fretted version of this the other day. Surprisingly loud for an acoustic bass, and a great tone too.[/quote]

Gareth,

Was it an original, like mine, that you played or one of the recently reintroduced (and I believe Far East manufactured) instruments? I don't think the new instruments have the curved back of the originals (a curved back that you'll note I completely failed to take a picture of).

I just did a bit of googling and found out a little more about my bass. There's a small site here www.ekobass.co.uk dedicated to the instrument. Seems from the serial number (250684) that mine dates from 25th June 1984, about three years before the original Eko company shut up shop. So it sat in a warehouse or music shop for maybe eight years before I waltzed in and rescued it.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='612251' date='Sep 29 2009, 05:37 PM']Surely somebody has a Far East/copy Precision/Jazz of some description they'd like to swap for a slice of genuine Italian acoustic bass cool?[/quote]

Would love to buy it but am never down the south coast and have no idea when i could make the trip. Good luck mate

Dave

[quote name='cd_david' post='612474' date='Sep 29 2009, 09:05 PM']Would love to buy it but am never down the south coast and have no idea when i could make the trip. Good luck mate

Dave[/quote]

Dave,

Well I am starting to think I'm going to have to ship it at some stage. I have a mad plan where I buy a hard case for my soon to arrive Veillette acoustic bass but use the case initially to ship the Eko and trust the purchaser to ship just the empty case back to me. So if you're genuinely interested, and that plan works for you, PM me with an offer.

Phil

Well I've still not yet grasped the eBay nettle so I'm having one last bump to see if I can trade for a Fenderish (Squire, other copy, Precision or Jazz, a maple fingerboard preferred) fretted 4 string of some description.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='philw' post='601346' date='Sep 17 2009, 02:37 PM']Drove through Epsom yesterday for the first time in an age and Bootleg Music has gone!

Sad, but a good excuse for a BUMP!

Get your chocolate teapot here.

P[/quote]

It's moved to the upstairs of the rock academy, or whetever it's called, which is on one of the main roads into Epsom - just up from Kiln Lane.