Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz

TheDaivisch

I do.. I had a GBE750.

(apologies to all who've heard this before)

It was a great-sounding head but it buzzed like an angry swarm of bees if I went within 5 feet of the amp.

Genz and the UK distributor bent over backwards to try and sort it, but they couldn't. They tried to tell me it was because my basses weren't shielded.. I've never had a similar problem before or since.

Shame. It could have been fab.

Mind you, no-one else has reported any similar problems. I think I'm just cursed...

[quote name='mike257' post='598083' date='Sep 14 2009, 12:16 PM']No hands on exp with one myself, but a fellow bassist I know has one, and it sounds fantastic. He swears by it now, and it's left his (really tasty sounding) SVT2 out of service. I'm chuffed enough with my Shuttle, but those GBEs sound mega.[/quote]
Are we talking about Martin from Kappa?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='597991' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:18 AM']I do.. I had a GBE750.

(apologies to all who've heard this before)

It was a great-sounding head but it buzzed like an angry swarm of bees if I went within 5 feet of the amp.

Genz and the UK distributor bent over backwards to try and sort it, but they couldn't. They tried to tell me it was because my basses weren't shielded.. I've never had a similar problem before or since.

Shame. It could have been fab.

Mind you, no-one else has reported any similar problems. I think I'm just cursed...[/quote]

Well, I've taken the plunge and bought the GBE750. It should arrive end of this week. I'm buying blind so fingers crossed it works out for me!

I'll let you know how I get on.

That's my rig at the moment.. i have experienced what wateroftyne has said, however i wouldn't say within five feet... maybe more like one foot. And if i'm going to stand that close to my amp i'm not happy anyway. Its an amazing rig, the two channels allow me have two completely different setups for any combination of basses. I've often run my double bass into the Fet channel and electric into the tube and it sounds good... not ideal for double bass obviously.... watch the weight on the head though if that's a concern?? it ways a tonne.... but the cab is light and really portable with the wheels. so it a real thumbs up for me... any specifics just mail me.

[quote name='duffmouse' post='605215' date='Sep 22 2009, 01:09 AM']That's my rig at the moment.. i have experienced what wateroftyne has said, however i wouldn't say within five feet... maybe more like one foot. And if i'm going to stand that close to my amp i'm not happy anyway. Its an amazing rig, the two channels allow me have two completely different setups for any combination of basses. I've often run my double bass into the Fet channel and electric into the tube and it sounds good... not ideal for double bass obviously.... watch the weight on the head though if that's a concern?? it ways a tonne.... but the cab is light and really portable with the wheels. so it a real thumbs up for me... any specifics just mail me.[/quote]

I've just received the amp at work. I'm already impressed by the build quality and general chunkiness of it. Man is this thing heavy though. I have to carry it home tonight too (about a 10 minute walk)...

I'll let you know how I get on when I give it a try tonight.

Dave

[quote name='TheDaivisch' post='607833' date='Sep 24 2009, 03:57 PM']I've just received the amp at work. I'm already impressed by the build quality and general chunkiness of it. Man is this thing heavy though. I have to carry it home tonight too (about a 10 minute walk)...

I'll let you know how I get on when I give it a try tonight.

Dave[/quote]

Bloody hell....

It sounds AWESOME. It has all the punch and growl of a GK, but with a richer more upmarket overall quality to the tone and MUCH warmer fatter low end. The EQ is much more potent and flexible than the GK too. Both the FET and valve channels sound fantastic.
It's pretty much exactly what I was hoping it was going to sound like, infact.

It's also built like a Challenger tank. Weight is pretty similar too.

I think Im gonna keep the GK neo cab after all. 400 watts will do me fine!

I just need to get me a gig now and turn it up properly..

[quote name='TheDaivisch' post='608121' date='Sep 24 2009, 08:39 PM']Bloody hell....

It sounds AWESOME. It has all the punch and growl of a GK, but with a richer more upmarket overall quality to the tone and MUCH warmer fatter low end. The EQ is much more potent and flexible than the GK too. Both the FET and valve channels sound fantastic.
It's pretty much exactly what I was hoping it was going to sound like, infact.

It's also built like a Challenger tank. Weight is pretty similar too.

I think Im gonna keep the GK neo cab after all. 400 watts will do me fine!

I just need to get me a gig now and turn it up properly..[/quote]

Oh, and no sign of any buzzing whatsoever, even at high volume sitting right infront of it.

I've only tried a Warwick Corvette $$ through it, so I'm not sure if other basses might be different...