Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Roscoe Beck

JPS

[quote name='JPS' post='596023' date='Sep 11 2009, 08:40 PM']Which Robben Ford album would you recommend as a good starting point mate?[/quote]

Robben Ford & The Blue Line, the first Blue Line album is my favourite catchy title eh? Roscoe's solo album is also excellent and features guitar work from Ford, Eric Johnson, Dave Grissom and Greg Koch, Malford Milligan and others on vox. Not your typical solo album as there is only one bass solo and only lasts about 15 seconds. Just good songs, well played and produced.

Edited by ezbass

Gotta agree with the other guys, Roscoe's playing on the blu line album is great, and Mystic Mile is well worth a listen, plus Robben Fords guitar playing is incredible.

Haven't seen him on youtube, is it the bluesy stuff where he does the tapping stuff you were watching. Quite effective.

OK I can be a bit gushing when it comes to RB, but I can't recommend the Robben Ford and the Blue Line DVD (Ohne Filter) enough. It's hard to believe that a jazzy blues three piece band can sound so full. Three very talented musicians.

It's nice to hear "blues" bass playing being pushed in a slightly different direction, but done with taste and musicality. I'm a big fan of Tommy Shannon and am looking for other "modern" blues bassists to listen to hence the interest in Roscoe Beck. Any other names spring to mind?

[quote name='JPS' post='596399' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:44 AM']It's nice to hear "blues" bass playing being pushed in a slightly different direction, but done with taste and musicality. I'm a big fan of Tommy Shannon and am looking for other "modern" blues bassists to listen to hence the interest in Roscoe Beck. Any other names spring to mind?[/quote]

You could check out Eric Czar's work with Joe Bonamassa, here's some You Tube vids of a [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDHqQnAVrqE"]bass solo[/url] and something a bit more [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvrNG8nmdrI&feature=related"]bluesy/rocky[/url]. However, my favourite bass player with Joe was Creamo Liss on the New World Yesterday album.

Edited by ezbass