Why become a member? ×

Help! Do you have a popular bass and ability to record it decently?

alexclaber

[quote name='Bo Millward' post='595764' date='Sep 11 2009, 03:37 PM']Alright man, I've got a Spector NS 5 and a Vintage (JHS) Jazz copy I'm doing some d.i. recording clips with. I'm doing them through a DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive an i can drop you them if you want. I'm guna do a walking line, a slap groove, a finger funk groove, a tapping phrase, some plectrum rock and A odd meter low F# djent groove.[/quote]

Sounds good to me!

This is going to end up an epically big matrix like on basstasters isn't it... :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='595775' date='Sep 11 2009, 03:55 PM']Yes to all! SR500 would be good because there's a lot of those about. What/where are the pickups in the Taitycaster?

Alex[/quote]

the taitycaster are a seymour duncan ceramic musicman pickup but a fair bit further back than the sweet spot and a seymour duncan quarter pounder precision pickup, and the EA part of the pickup is where it is on a precision, but the DG are the other side, so its a reverse P pickup. and its got a seymour duncan 2 band EQ.

pictures here so you can get a better idea -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=15736&view=findpost&p=165510"]taitycaster pictures[/url]

so i wouldn't say its a classic sound at all.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='595468' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:32 AM']Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the interest of letting people compare the sounds of my various models, without actually hearing them in person, I'd like to get some nice recordings of popular bass sounds which I can re-amp through my various cabs and then record (with various mics). The plan is to have say a Fender Jazz with roundwounds, funked up, rocked out, throughly dub-heavy, etc all through DI onto a digital recording medium. Then I'll play that back through my U5/PLX through each of my cabs and mic them both up close and at a distance, on and off-axis with an SM57 and some small and large diaphragm condensers. Then you'll be able to listen to both the DI'd bass, and all the different miked recordings of each cab (multiple mics hopefully making up for mic colouration). And then the same with say a flatwound Precision, a Rickenbacker with a pick, a StingRay, etc etc. Plus some effected stuff - overdrive, fuzz, etc. Would be nice to get some of these sounds through a clean DI but others through the preamp sections of popular amps. Maybe a Sansamp or two as well.

I was going to do this with my bass but how many of your own a thru-neck chambered 36" with Q-Tuners? Not a great reference point methinks!

As I've said to various people, this still won't tell you what the cabs sound like, but it will allow you to compare one to another.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Alex[/quote]
i just thought that i would tell that i own a peavey max 115 that sound really!! nice i hope to send a picture to you if you would like that

I can record all of my stuff

Ampeg SVT 5 Pro
Ashdown ABM 410T
Ashdown 115 Mag
Fender Jazz Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders Badass bridge
Sub Stingray
SX P bass

If you really want I can dig my Carlsbro Stingray out :)

Also would you be interested in a DHA DI-EQ?

Let me know if you want any of it done.

Edited by waynepunkdude

Tobias Toby Pro 4 (fingers, not pick)
Rotosound RS77LE Roundwonds

Run into

Trace Elliot GP12 Series 6
Ashdown MAG410T

Outputted to

Sansamp DI Box
Shure SM57 Centered on top left speaker
Shure SM57 Off axis bottom right speaker
AKG 414 Centered on tweeter