Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB2 500 has landed

eightball

as some of you may be aware, the LH1000 is gone. was a great, loud amp, but it just felt like i was tweaking all the time, never able to get MY sound.
i was never really happy after my GK 1001RB. cue the MB; man what sound! does everything that my RB did+++++. it really is incredible that such a racket comes out of that wee box.
i've done a few gigs with it, and everyone is amazed at it. had more than 1 person ask 'so you're plugging into that pre-amp? where's the power amp though?'

i am pleased!

[attachment=32425:DSC02161.JPG]
[attachment=32426:DSC02166.JPG]

Got a GK head a few weeks back - used it in the studio last weekend (see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59876"]this[/url] thread)

Uber-impressed with it now it's been used in anger - was rather nervous for a while!

Still, glad to see someone else grab a GK - good luck with it!

All the best, Ian

I'm considering this amp, but will be using it with an ashdown MAG15 cab so only getting the 350w at 8ohm rther than the full 500w. Ive just got rid of my ashdown LG1000 cos it felt like i just wasnt getting the volume out of it (and some research shows that could be due to it being a class D amp) wopuld the same problem arise with this GK one does anybody know?????

[quote name='pal1972' post='596139' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:04 PM']I'm considering this amp, but will be using it with an ashdown MAG15 cab so only getting the 350w at 8ohm rther than the full 500w. Ive just got rid of my ashdown LG1000 cos it felt like i just wasnt getting the volume out of it (and some research shows that could be due to it being a class D amp) wopuld the same problem arise with this GK one does anybody know?????[/quote]

i use mine with an 8ohm hartke 4 x 10 (XL or transporter - can never remember which; the better one!) at practice, and it's well loud enough. that's accounting for 2 guitar players in a louuuuudddddd metal band, who play their marshall dsl's cranked! in fact, big george at sonic boom studio's states we're the loudest band who rehearse there.

when i use my pair of goliath II's the volume normally sits about 9 o'clock on stage. obviously there's no contest between the 2 8 ohm SWR's and the single 8 ohm cab, but at rehearsal, volume is about 11 0'clock on the single hartke, and it performs well.

i notice no real difference between the MB2 500 and my old 1001RB, besides it being a third of the size, quarter the weight, and the tuner out and send return being much more sensibly placed on the back. oh, and don't forget the footswitchable boost! the MB2 500 has a fatter bottom end to my ears too.