Why become a member? ×

String questions

Spyke

I'm not much of an expert on strings so I hope someone can help me with my issues here.
back in the spring I put D'addario flatwounds on my Yamaha RBX374, I regret the choice because if I do anything except 12 bar blues it sounds as dead and dry as a murdered camel.
Want to replace these strings but also want to replace the strings on my Ibanez SR500 which I got in May, it has its retail strings still and I haven't exactly been gentle with it. With college starting back up I want to replace the strings on both basses so I can use both if needed. Though I prefer my Ibanez for its slim neck which makes "shredding" and non bassy bass techniques fun and easy. (When I'm not working and I got a bunch of metal loving friends/classmates in the studio with me, my instinct is to shreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed, or scream before the drummers throws his stick at me for being too loud, sound familiar to anyone? lol)
I use very light strings on my Yamaha at the moment but don't know what make or gauge the retail strings are on my Ibanez SR500, so what I want to do is get a gauge similar and also the name of a good brand of strings to go for if I'm going to be playing the bass a lot in many different styles with a pick.
I might just get D'Addario rounds for my Yamaha and stick with that but with my Ibanez being my main bass, my precioussss, it needs some full on badass strings but I need to know the gauge of the retail strings first of all.
Fun.

Also any tips for self defence against drummers is appreciated and ways to shut a guitarist up when he's in the twilight zone.
I'm the singer for my college band songs so that's one less ego to deal with. I'm the oldest out of these beatches by a year! But that doesn't work...
Once I've got my info or any string tips in general I'll take bass supremacy tips.

So hit me!

[quote name='Spyke' post='590210' date='Sep 4 2009, 10:31 PM']don't know what make or gauge the retail strings are on my Ibanez SR500 ....

... I need to know the gauge of the retail strings first of all.[/quote]
Buy a [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6in-Caliper-Micrometer-Tool-LCD-Digital-Vernier-150mm_W0QQitemZ170379374842QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Measuring_Tools_Levels?hash=item27ab66f0fa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]micrometer[/url]. You can measure the strings.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='590262' date='Sep 4 2009, 11:39 PM']If they're the original strings from the factory, they're Elixir coated mediums, at gauges .045", .065", .085" and .105". Don't ask me how I know. I just do. :)[/quote]

Another +1 :rolleyes: That's exactly what my Ibanez IC200 came with

I mainly use D'addario Chromes. They are very good strings, and will produce a good vareity of tones. The prob is not with your strings but more likely the nut and bridge of your Yamaha.

After replacing the stock items on my first Yamaha the clarity and sustain increased by a huge amount. After changing the pups and electrics to sensible arrangement it was a monster (for what is cost!).

Going back to round wounds may just leave you dissapointed.

Thanks everyone, I've ordered 2 sets of strings for both these basses so if they hold out from my abuse until they come, great!
Hopefully I'll be prepared for what the BTEC holds with new strings to mark a new year.
I'm tempted to burn my weekend by learning Black Diamond by Stratovarius to do at one of the shows, hope mr. Drummer can handle it and that there's another metal fanatic in the 2nd years or first diplomas to play the other guitar.
That or we could risk asking the services of the mackem, who played with us last year but he kept walking out in practice and we don't want that this year.
Honestly feels like a proper band even if its just in college.

So. Thanks everyone. New Strings, I've written down the tips so far. if you have anything else to tell this nooblet hit me!