Why become a member? ×

Can you help me choose some music?

fatgoogle

So for my leaving cert i have to play 8 pieces, 4 on trumpet and 4 on bass or 6 on one instrument but ive been told your bound to get more marks straight away by playing 2 instruments. So i pretty much know what im playing on trumpet. But as Ive mostly spent the last 3 years of my time playing bass rockin' out, Im not sure what to play for all 4 pieces i have two ideas so far.

But first, all the pieces have to different to get most marks, and i can be backed up by anything really, but my main ones and preferred are piano and drums, i would like a guitar and could... get one, but it takes so long to get any of my friends to learn anything that its more hassle then its really worth so....

The first two pieces that i have thought of are
The awakened by The Reddings
Suite no 1 in G major by bach.

Ive got plenty of time to learn all pieces and have started both of the above.

But are these any good, do you think they'll get me the marks, and what do you think would be two other pieces of varying genres, or 4 pieces altogether.

Im fairly clueless at what else to pick a jazz piece, rock,metal eh. Also they have to be too quite a high standard, but the main marks are the performance really.

Any help?

Thanks
Sam H

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='590197' date='Sep 4 2009, 10:20 PM']So for my leaving cert i have to play 8 pieces, 4 on trumpet and 4 on bass or 6 on one instrument but ive been told your bound to get more marks straight away by playing 2 instruments. So i pretty much know what im playing on trumpet. But as Ive mostly spent the last 3 years of my time playing bass rockin' out, Im not sure what to play for all 4 pieces i have two ideas so far.

But first, all the pieces have to different to get most marks, and i can be backed up by anything really, but my main ones and preferred are piano and drums, i would like a guitar and could... get one, but it takes so long to get any of my friends to learn anything that its more hassle then its really worth so....

The first two pieces that i have thought of are
The awakened by The Reddings
Suite no 1 in G major by bach.

Ive got plenty of time to learn all pieces and have started both of the above.

But are these any good, [u][b]do you think they'll get me the marks [/b][/u]and what do you think would be two other pieces of varying genres, or 4 pieces altogether.

Im fairly clueless at what else to pick a jazz piece, rock,metal eh. Also they have to be too quite a high standard, but the main marks are the performance really.

Any help?

Thanks
Sam H[/quote]
I don't really have any advice for you except that when you ask 'do you think they'll get me the marks[?]' you should be asking your teacher(s) that question. They know what the examiners are looking for.

Try some bass solo pieces:

Amerika, Teen Town or Portrait of Tracy by Jaco
There are some nice jazz chord-melody pieces arranged for bass. Mike Dimin used to have them on his website, dunno of they're still there. Notably these were Autumn Leaves & Misty

Si

Edit: Found them here
[url="http://www.michaeldimin.com/lessons.htm"]http://www.michaeldimin.com/lessons.htm[/url]

near the bottom of the page

I cant play it fast enough yet, and i have the music for it, its not bad, but i have plenty of time to get it up to speed. Also to help with the crescendos and decrescendos i was going to get a volume pedal of some sort, just to help there.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='590775' date='Sep 5 2009, 04:25 PM']I can play it not fast enough yet, and i have the music for it, its not bad, but i have plenty of mtime to get it up to speed. Also to help with the crescendos and decrescendos i was going to get a volume pedal of some sort, just to help there.[/quote]

this is the criteria for good music...and i paraphrase mozart

timing is critical...notes come next

the speed is in the interpretation...as you have pointed out dynamics are essential in any classical work...elsewise its a series of complicated arpeggii and modulations

finger style gives some control over dynamic and attack...hope you get it to go ok
cheers
geof

[quote name='mrcrow' post='591533' date='Sep 6 2009, 05:45 PM']this is the criteria for good music...and i paraphrase mozart

timing is critical...notes come next

the speed is in the interpretation...as you have pointed out dynamics are essential in any classical work...elsewise its a series of complicated arpeggii and modulations

finger style gives some control over dynamic and attack...hope you get it to go ok
cheers
geof[/quote]
and if that doesn't work, tune in 5ths and capo at the 12th fret.