Why become a member? ×

Replacement Pickups for EMG HZs

WHUFC BASS

I recently got a Spector Legend 5 String and I love the feel of it but the EMG HZ pickups are to coin a phrase "sh*t IN THE EXTREME". I just don't like them. They are the most bland sounding pickups I've heard in a long while and I want to replace them. Any suggestions? I play punk / hardcore / metal music. I've given up waiting for the Seymour Duncan Bass Blackouts. I've emailed Seymour Duncan and not recieved anything back from them. Any other suggestions as a direct replacement? was really looking for active pickups.

Well, to save you having to route out the bass to make other manufacturer's pickups fit - I'd say get the active EMG soapbars that will drop straight in and add a really nice preamp - either the EMG stock preamps or something like an Aguilar OBP-3 or a John East preamp. Jon Shuker also has a preamp that he puts in his basses that is really rather good too!

The EMG active pickups come in a range of configurations all in the same casings. a P style, a J style , a dual rail style (which sounds like a MM pup) and a switchable J / Dual Rail style for two different sounds in one package.

At the moment, both my basses have the dual rail type, known as the EMG 45DC. The '45' bit denotes the casing length in inches. You'd have to measure the length of your pickups to ensure you chose the right size replacements.

Incidently, it's the active DC's that go in the more expensive Spectors ;o) .

[quote name='dood' post='585347' date='Aug 30 2009, 08:05 PM']Well, to save you having to route out the bass to make other manufacturer's pickups fit - I'd say get the active EMG soapbars that will drop straight in and add a really nice preamp - either the EMG stock preamps or something like an Aguilar OBP-3 or a John East preamp. Jon Shuker also has a preamp that he puts in his basses that is really rather good too!

The EMG active pickups come in a range of configurations all in the same casings. a P style, a J style , a dual rail style (which sounds like a MM pup) and a switchable J / Dual Rail style for two different sounds in one package.

At the moment, both my basses have the dual rail type, known as the EMG 45DC. The '45' bit denotes the casing length in inches. You'd have to measure the length of your pickups to ensure you chose the right size replacements.

Incidently, it's the active DC's that go in the more expensive Spectors ;o) .[/quote]

+1 for the EMG DC's

i'd recommend the EMG 2 or 3 band preamp. i had it fitted with a pair of DCs and it sounds fantastic. Easts pre is very good too, but shuker cant fit his pre to other makers basses.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='585599' date='Aug 31 2009, 09:14 AM']Thanks fellas. Looks like I'll be going down the EMG pickup route with the possibility of an Aguilar pre-amp (all depends on price). When its done, I'll post up "before and after" tone comparisons.[/quote]

No! Stop it. Just stop it. NOW! :)