Why become a member? ×

Pedal power ...

ritch

Is it possible to power a Line6 DL4 and other 9V pedals like Boss etc from the same power supply?

The DL4 needs 2000mA, so that pretty much means it would have to be a Diago Powerstation or something similar. But the power supply I have for my DL4 is AC-AC 9v, while the other pedals would need AC-DC.

Does that make sense?

Diago suggest there's an adaptor here:

[url="http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,27/category_id,3/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,206/"]http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,206/[/url]

But again, that says it outputs on 2.5mm barrel plug, but the power supply I have for my DL4 is 2.1mm. A bigger 2.5mm plug won't even fit in the pedal.

Don't want to go and buy one if it's just a waste of money.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by ritch

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='584104' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:18 PM']Rich, theres plenty of ebay outlets selling multi-adaptor power supplies in daisy chains with different plug sizes - don't have to pay crazy diago rip-off prices. I just bought one from effectpowersupplies.com. 6 outlets 9v in either 2.1 or 2.5mm barrels and about £16.[/quote]

Oh yeah - £30 for a 3000mA one! [url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/stompbox-8-3000ma-power-supply-with-8-way-daisy-chain-696-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/stompbo...chain-696-p.asp[/url]

My worry though, is the AC/DC thing - is there something that says if you plug a AC-DC supply into an AC pedal (the DL4) that it will work, but not the other way around. Otherwise I can't see how it would work.

it says the DL4 runs off batteries. Is the mains adaptor for it AC or DC? Does it tell you on the back of the case? Most pedals will not have a transformer built in, they will rely on the transformer being in the adapter plug. If so, then you need to check if it is -ve tip or +ve.
Jonnyshredfreak.com sell polarity-swapping connectors so you can get round that too.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='584160' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:12 PM']it says the DL4 runs off batteries. Is the mains adaptor for it AC or DC? Does it tell you on the back of the case? Most pedals will not have a transformer built in, they will rely on the transformer being in the adapter plug. If so, then you need to check if it is -ve tip or +ve.
Jonnyshredfreak.com sell polarity-swapping connectors so you can get round that too.[/quote]

It does run off batteries. The power supply says AC-AC. Input AC 230V 50Hz, Output 9V AC 2000mA. And it is +ve tip.

Al is talking bollocks. It's perfectly possible to run a Line 6 DL4 and a bunch of 9V pedals using a Diago Power station and the green Diago adaptor. We have one and it works fine.

Read the FAQ on the Diago site. The Line 6 power supply is AC, but the pedal is DC - input is transformed to DC by a bridge rectifier circuit. The Diago adaptor bypassses this rectifier and puts DC directly into the pedal.

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='Higgie' post='584216' date='Aug 29 2009, 12:23 AM']I believe the Line 6 xx4 modeller pedals can run on either AC or DC. As long as it's getting 9V and enough mA, it should be fine.[/quote]

Excellent. That puts my mind at rest.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

First proper post here (after popping into the local to say hello) and hoping for some help.

Putting together a pedal board and not sure what power supply I can use, I current have DHA VT2 fat guts bass, EHX Polychorus and a EHX echo#1 and looking at getting a EHX micro pog or maybe a Boss OC3 and a tuner and it would be great to run my pod too (old school bass pod bean shaped).

Now in from what I can work out in my rubbish way the DHA needs 12V 500mA the Polychorus 24V and the Echo uses 9V, I can't seem to find a power supply that will do them all....

Perhaps I should have been cleverer in my pedal choices but didn't really consider peadlboards as I picked them up, or I might be missing something obvious, so I throw myself open to your suggestions.

Thanks

Edited by markl