Why become a member? ×

GALLIEN KRUEGER BACKLINE 600

Bass-ic

Hi
I did try and look this up on the wiki, but i am still not absolutely sure what the correct answer is.
if an amp produces 300w at 4 ohms, what does it produce at 8 ohms?
I want to try the gallien Krueger backline 600 into my Ashdown 2x10 MAG cab, but i dont want to damage it!
Sorry for the dumb question.
Cheers in advance
Matt

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='582284' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:21 AM']Hi WP.
thanks for the advice.
I take it Ill be right on th elimit then. Does this mean that i will have no 'headroom'?
cheers
Matt[/quote]

No probs mate. Yeah headroom will be limited.

Just noticed the 600 is actually 300w (why name it 600?). But the rules still apply, just not so much.

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='582396' date='Aug 27 2009, 01:13 PM']hmm what happened to my reply...

The amp is rated 200 watts @ 8 ohms, so you'll have plenty of headroom to spare, at least the cabinet will not have a problem.[/quote]

Perhaps it chickened out and it buggered off.

know what I mean, say no more.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='582284' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:21 AM']Does this mean that i will have no 'headroom'?[/quote]

For some reason the whole of bassdom has taken the meaning of headroom to be 'amp power output' minus 'cab power handling'. i.e. 300W amp into 200W cab gives 100W of headroom. Sadly that's completely wrong.

Headroom is the difference between the peak output of your rig - say 120dB - and the peak loudness you need - say 115dB. That's 5dB of headroom.

Having a 1000W amp and 200W cab might sound like you have tons of headroom but if you have to push the cab to its limits whilst the amp is still cruising yet you're still not loud enough then you have no headroom at all! Conversely if you have a 200W amp and 200W cab but neither is reaching its limits because either your band is quieter than the previous example, or the cab is a lot more sensitive (i.e. more dB SPL for the same watts in) then you have headroom.

Whether your rig has any headroom at all is down to how loud the guitarist and drummer are that you're working with. If you're pushing it so hard that it sounds bad then make them play quieter!

Alex

Hi All.
Many thanks for the answers.
Alex, i am 6ft 5 so i allways think that headroom is the space i have to get through a door with damaging my head, hence the appropiatition of the term. I think i understand what your saying tho. Cheers
Matt

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='583089' date='Aug 27 2009, 11:57 PM']Nope, you lost me there.

Your amp will not over-power your cab and damage it, that's all I mean.[/quote]

Sorry Brave Sir Robin, I was being humourous (allegedly), little to do with the thread.

Thought you had taken your nom de guerre from Python's Holy Grail.

Quote "He chickened out and he buggered off, Brave Brave Sir Robin".

Shall now crawl back into dark corner.