Why become a member? ×

The Collection right now...

Muzz

Finally got round to getting the camera out and all the basses lined up for a Usual Suspects group shot...

The sofa isn't up to much, but there's some nice basses:

[attachment=31477:lineup1.gif]
[attachment=31478:lineup2.gif]
[attachment=31480:lineup3.gif]
[attachment=31481:lineup4.gif]

mid-90s Goodfellow
mid-00s Overwater Perception Deluxe
05 'Ray
78 Jazz
88 Yamaha BB3000A
mid-00s Cort Artisan A4

Oh, and I forgot the Michael Kelly Dragonfly Acoustic. Doh!

Sadly, I think this may be a high water mark in the collection size, as it's looking increasingly like I may have to downsize and get rid of two or three. Which to lose, though?... It's not gonna be easy...

Muzz

Thanks for the comments chaps. The BB is the only one I've had from new, but somewhat perversely for such a great bass it's probably not worth me selling it, although I have to say I've no idea what the going rate (if indeed there is one) might be for a white (well, cream) BB, because I haven't seen one for sale for such a long time. I'm more inclined to sell the Jazz and the Goodfellow first, because I play them the least, and they'd be more significant in terms of cash return.

Over recent months, I can't put the Ray and the Overwater down, although they're nothing like each other: a proper Jeckyll and Hyde situation. The Overwater for when I'm feeling* talented and noodly, and then on the other hand nothing holds down a straight A like a Ray... I use em both for gigging and recording.

The Cort's a surprisingly good bass for the money, but that's strictly a bang-it-onto-EBay-for-£250-when-I-can-be-bothered sort of thing.

Hey, this is good - I'm actually thinking straighter about these basses than I have done for months. :lol: Blimey. :)

M

* 'Feeling', rather than 'being', you'll note... :rolleyes:

The Goodfellow, is, as far as I can tell, a Lowden-era one, made in NI in the 90s. Not sure of the name, and I'm having trouble getting hold of anyone at Lowden to check. Looks like mahogany and flamed maple with an ebony board, 34" scale, 1.5" nut, bolt-on. It's very nice. Not sure about value on this one, though, as, like the BB, there doesn't seem to be enough around to establish a market price.

The Jazz is a belter - it's got one small thro-lacqer ding, but other than that it's pristine. It was in a spare room in its case for 15 years, and it looks it. The only non-original parts are the pots, but other than that it's time-machine stuff. Plays really, really nicely, and sounds like chocolate. Weighs a ton, mind - they obviously built basses for the more sturdy gent back in the 70s... I think I'll be putting some more pics of it up in the For Sale thread soon.

And yes, the sofa's getting to look like a bit of a relic itself... Do sofas have mojo? The Mrs doesn't seem to think so...