Why become a member? ×

Coated Strings - How Long Does The Coating Last?

Hot Tub

I fitted a set of Rotosound Nexus strings to my 5-string bass on June 10th - so about two and a half months ago - and a quick calculation shows that they've got around 180hrs playing time on them. And the coating's coming off! :) The E string has a two inch stretch which is almost pure silver now around where I pluck, and the others are going the same way. I think I've got a pretty light touch. Is it normal for the coating to wear so quickly???

[quote name='ped' post='579378' date='Aug 24 2009, 06:51 PM']That's interesting. I use Elixirs and have had the same set on my fretted for over a year and they how no signs of flaking whatsoever (though I never use a pick) and still sound fresh.[/quote]

The Nexuses (or is that Nexi?) sound absolutely fine. They're just looking gawd-awful!

I put some Nexi (Nexuses) on Friday, gigged with them Saturday and the coating started to come off straight away. Mind, I play with a pick most of the time and absolutely batter the strings so it was expected.

Not overly keen on the sound I got from them either. So they are now on the back up bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='580994' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:22 AM']Why don't coated bass strings retain their coating when you play them with a pick? There are coated guitar strings available and nearly every guitarist uses a pick and you don't hear of any problems with them.[/quote]

I use coated on guitar and they lose the covering pretty quickly when using a pick, I think it's just accepted.

[quote name='odub' post='581005' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:26 AM']I use coated on guitar and they lose the covering pretty quickly when using a pick, I think it's just accepted.[/quote]

That kind of defeats the object doesn't it? I have to say though that both the guitarists in my last band used Elixiers (I thought they felt pretty horrible myself every time I tried one of their guitars - I've stuck with D'Adddrios on my 6 strings) and neither ever seemed to have a problem which is why I asked.

I use the dr black ones,

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but it's something along the lines or skin cells, grease and grime getting into the string. Using a pick all the parts you touch, and 95% of the string remains coated, so I suspect retains it's zing. Strings sound fine to me, even where really battered.

I've never used the Roto coated strings but every set of Elixirs I've had have always worn quite quickly where I play with a pick, which I can understand. They always sound fresh for months though but close up, they look untidy although no-one else can see it.

Some sets have also lost the coating at the fretting end after some time, some haven't. I was surprised by this at first but I guess there's quite a bit of friction where string-meets-fret causing the coating to break down eventually, especially if vibrato is used.