Why become a member? ×

Practising unplugged

Earbrass

Hi all,

Probably over 90% of the solo practice I do is with the (solid) bass unplugged. That's mostly because I tend to pick the bass up and just start playing - can't be doing with all that wires and lectricity stuff, turning things on, finding my headphones and so forth. I was wondering though whether this approach might have some advantages (or disadvantages). Maybe playing unplugged develops the plucking technique more, as you really only have your fingers to modify the tone with. On the other hand, maybe it's more productive to practise the way you "really" play - plugged in.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

I used to do the same out of laziness (I too had the problem of needing to use headphones, all the wires getting tangled, etc etc). But I find it means you ultimately develop bad habits like playing alot harder than is needed. I wouldn't say its good in the long run.

I probably practice 99% of the time unplugged and the only disadvantage I've found is that your muting can suffer a little as you can't always hear the ringing strings that are blatantly obvious through an amp. I've not found plucking too hard to be an issue though, but then I don't practice in places where it's all that noisy.

Cheers
Alun

• 5 weeks later...

i try to practice always with an amp, but this tricky on the road. Why dont travel lodges rooms have b15's as standard I ask???
One thing i've been working on is making my amp sound as bad as possible, scratchy highs & no lows, just for practice. this does work. if ive got the slightest amount of sloppy technique it is amplified 10fold than a nice sounding amp. having the amp on loud and playing with the least amount of effort is great for endurance.