Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some pickups...

Jamesemt

Hi guys, I am getting a custom bass made and want a definite sound from it. I realise woods play a part...but I'm a bit stuck how to get close.

Whenever I play a Precision I love the low end thump but miss a bit of top end sparkle - if I switch to a jazz I love the top end but miss having the low down thump...so what's the answer? Tonights rehearsal really highlighted this as I was swapping between the two.

I thought going active was the way forward - and does allow me to get nearer, but still not quite there. I have a pair of active Hohner jack basses with different pickups (one humbuckers, the other single coils). I seem to prefer the humbuckers to the single coils as the single coils seem too 'metalllicy' and harsh.

I mentioned this to my guitar builder, who suggested that he can get some pickups custom wound to be mid scooped...but is this the answer?

I like a lot of warmth which I think is part of the problem.

Am I simply looking for the holy grail which doesn't exist??

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='574919' date='Aug 19 2009, 11:33 PM']I mentioned this to my guitar builder, who suggested that he can get some pickups custom wound to be mid scooped...but is this the answer?

Am I simply looking for the holy grail which doesn't exist??[/quote]

Yes, it's one answer & a good one to boot.

Holy Grail... Aren't we all?

A Precision Deluxe I had might be the type of sound you're after. Precision pickup, and a Humbucker at the bridge. Lots of stingray style zing, but with the low end thud from the P pickup. Alternatively a P/J configuration might be right for you.

Trouble is, sound is so personal, only [i]you[/i] can decide the sound you want.