Why become a member? ×

To Port, or not to Port - that is the question......

geoffbyrne

Here's the info:

To make a small super-light rig, I bought an empty Ampeg Portabass 112H cab and put my Beyma K200 12" 250W @ 8 Ohms in it.

There's a compression horn in place but not connected as I'm going through a Digitech GTX1 patched for bass into the Line In socket of a Crate Powerblock bridged (150W @ 8 Ohms) so it only out puts through one jack when bridged and wants 8 Ohms only - it'll protect itself and cut off at 4 Ohms.

I'm not using/connected the horn as it would bring the cab down to 4 Ohms - incompatible with the above.

I know putting odd drivers into cabs is a bit hit or miss, but this is sounding pretty good a low-ish volumes.

The question is - the would I be better completely removing the (circular) horn and allowing a port for the Beyma. I'm pretty sure it isn't intended for sealed cabs?

I'm pretty crap at trying to use WinISD - I haven't a clue, so maybe someone here might give me some good advice?

:)

Ta!!!!

G.

The horn (with a crossover) won't halve the impedance like running two woofers in parallel.

You're probably 'safest' running the cab sealed (rather than using a port of no-prticular-dimension), but whether or not you get usable low-end...

Someone familiar with ISD will no doubt be right along :)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='571738' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:10 PM']Thanks Alex (again!).

Geoff[/quote]

Is there a thread anywhere explaining the meaning of the abbreviations quoted in speaker spec. sheets?
This would make a useful pinned topic if there isn't one already...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='571741' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:12 PM']Is there a thread anywhere explaining the meaning of the abbreviations quoted in speaker spec. sheets?
This would make a useful pinned topic if there isn't one already...[/quote]

Funnily enough Eminence have this on their site! :)

[url="http://www.eminence.com/resources/data.asp"]http://www.eminence.com/resources/data.asp[/url]

Alex