Why become a member? ×

My first project. (Mod rather than build)

boabskiboab

So I bought a Squier Affinity P with the plans of really meesing around with it as a learning experience as most skills needed for this kind of thing I have never used before (Woodworking, Soldering Etc.).

So I stripped the neck from the body and removed everything from the body itself.

I then covered in in masking tape to ease marking out as I decided to try to fit it with a MM pickup as close to the MM sweetspot as possible.

I found out that there was a slight issue as the MM sweetspot slightly overlaps the Split P's position. So i decided to just put the MM hard against the split P's, to limit the stress as I said this is my first try.

Next came the part I wasn't looking forward to doing, the routing.

It wasn't as difficult as i expected, but i did learn a few valuble lessons.

It would have been much easier if i could have found a routing template, but I couldn't find one for a MM.

I should have made the cut out a few mm smaller than my marking out, then slowly removed more material, I could've got the cut out much more snug.

The last thing I did today was to give the guitar finish a good scuff with 400/800 grit sandpaper.

I have decided to paint it as well, the colour i will keep to myself just now.

A friend is a car painter and he has agreed to paint this for me, so hopefully it'll be a good finish.

Next job, give the body a couple of coats of primer and fill all/any dings and chips.

I'll update as soon as i get the thing primerd and filled.

Edited by boabskiboab

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna follow this thread with interest. Always wanted a P-Bass with an MM pickup (think Sandberg California PM), this looks like a really good route to having tone nirvana!

Let us know how it goes

Ian

PS any thoughts on how you're going to wire the MM pickup - series, parallel, coil tapped?