Why become a member? ×

ABM 210 vs MAG 210?

budget bassist

so i'm thinking about getting a new cab, an ashdown ABM 210 to use with my band, so i can have some speakers at home and some at the practice rooms as i usually have to take the bus, and take my head on the bus with me. I'll most likely be using the ABM 210 on it's own, and my question is this. I find my MAG 210 to be a little lacking in bottom end, great for mids/highs, and that's fine when i use it with my MAG 115, but if i want to use the ABM 210 on it's own, will i find a similar lack in bottom end?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='569287' date='Aug 14 2009, 05:45 PM']so i'm thinking about getting a new cab, an ashdown ABM 210 to use with my band, so i can have some speakers at home and some at the practice rooms as i usually have to take the bus, and take my head on the bus with me. I'll most likely be using the ABM 210 on it's own, and my question is this. I find my MAG 210 to be a little lacking in bottom end, great for mids/highs, and that's fine when i use it with my MAG 115, but if i want to use the ABM 210 on it's own, will i find a similar lack in bottom end?[/quote]

IIRC both cabs have the same speakers, with the only difference being the cab's construction (ABM is Plywood rather than MDF) - I would imagine they sound pretty similar, but I havewn't had the chance to AB the 2 types. Would be quite interested to know if there is actually any difference as I'm thinking of getting an Ashdown 4 x 10 to use an extension for my combo, and I'm not sure it's worth spending the extra on an ABM.

I used to have the 210 MAG combo and bought an ABM 210 extension cab. When I first got it I fiddled about so the amp was playing just through the ABM cab, then the MAG cab in the combo, then both - just to test that very thing. And, yes, the ABM sounded noticeably better.