Why become a member? ×

Pre-amp / pedals

Musicman20

Hi guys

Im looking for a nice pedal that can add a little 'active' spice to my passive instruments every now and then. Not only that, it would be great to have DI functions.

In addtion, if it has a nice overdrive, (not cheap sounding, nice and fat and chunky) then that helps.

But, which of these three is best?

I know the Aguilar TH has all the features I want....but is it a good pedal?

I've never tried the Sadowsky, I would like mid-control so Im not sure of that.

Tech 21 VT is just the grit really...nice grit, but not sure itll benefit me.

What you guys think?

Im preparing a new GAS list right now :)

They've all got their own sound..but here's my experiences

Sansamp bass driver (original version) used it for years, normally to make clean amps sound a bit warmer or dirty. Fantastic box, but ignore the suggestd presets, I find I use only a 50/50 mix of effect / dry even for the roughest sounds. Also a good flat DI that happily runs on phantom power.

Aguilar DB924 - same as the original (non DI) Sadowsky box - a "Musicman style" boost only eq in a tough metal case. Doesn't add any distortion, but makes a good Jbass sound like a great Jbass. Also doesn't really add any gain, so you have to run the vol up full to hear it properly (bit unusual for a pedal). Works well with all passive basses, but not really needed for anything already active.

Sansamp VT pedal - a more refined version of the bass driver idea, but allegedly doing an Ampeg emulation of the SVT or B15. Who knows how close it is? I've never heard any of the big Ampegs I've used, due to crap stage sound and good ear plugs...and I've only used a "portaflex" for about two hours in my whole life..don't even know if it was a "good one". That said, I think its a great pedal - good range of distortions and nice eq. I'm using the B15 settings for everything at the moment and I just forget its there. Nice. Hasn't got a DI..but just run it into one?

Hope that helps

BB