Why become a member? ×

Pick up needed for Musicman 4 string copy

Hi all,
I am a relative Bass newbie in that I have only started playing *seriously* quite recently. I have a half decent Musicman Stingray copy that I am using at the moment and although it sounds ok I think it could be vastly improved with a decent pick up & pots etc. So, I was hoping that someone amongst the Basschat community might just have a half decent pickup laying around that I could buy to drop into the bass. I don't have a fortune to spend sadly, but am not expecting charity either. A fair price for a unit that suits is my reality.

Hoping someone can help :)

Thanks

[quote name='lukertweek' post='567790' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:29 AM']Hi all,
I am a relative Bass newbie in that I have only started playing *seriously* quite recently. I have a half decent Musicman Stingray copy that I am using at the moment and although it sounds ok I think it could be vastly improved with a decent pick up & pots etc. So, I was hoping that someone amongst the Basschat community might just have a half decent pickup laying around that I could buy to drop into the bass. I don't have a fortune to spend sadly, but am not expecting charity either. A fair price for a unit that suits is my reality.

Hoping someone can help :)

Thanks[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
The "Items Wanted" Perhaps????

[quote name='lukertweek' post='567790' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:29 AM']So, I was hoping that someone amongst the Basschat community might just have a half decent pickup laying around that I could buy to drop into the bass.[/quote]
I recently acquired a Stingray copy (Vintage) with a Wilkinson pickup in it. I was also lucky enough to find a Nordstrand MM pickup. The Norstrand has alnico magnets and the Wilkinson has ceramic, which means they both sound different. I've not finished comparing, but I think the Wilkinson compares very favourably. You should be able to pick one up for around a tenner second-hand, whereas the Nordstand or Duncan will cost you fives times as much. As you are impecunious, I'd recommend you try the Wilkinson. I think you'll like it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stevie' post='568231' date='Aug 13 2009, 05:56 PM']I recently acquired a Stingray copy (Vintage) with a Wilkinson pickup in it. I was also lucky enough to find a Nordstrand MM pickup. The Norstrand has alnico magnets and the Wilkinson has ceramic, which means they both sound different. I've not finished comparing, but I think the Wilkinson compares very favourably. You should be able to pick one up for around a tenner second-hand, whereas the Nordstand or Duncan will cost you fives times as much. As you are impecunious, I'd recommend you try the Wilkinson. I think you'll like it.[/quote]

Appreciate the advice. Thanks very much