Why become a member? ×

A quick snap

ped

Just playing with my new camera... got a quick snap here, it's a bit blurry actually but will get some better ones tomorrow. Just wanted to ask though, on my monitor the picture is very clear and sharp, but having posted a black and white pic on here before some said it was very dark on their monitors. Over at Flickr I have looked at the pics in the black&white section and they all seem about the same levels as mine.. so how does it look to you?

Cheers
ped

Yeah it should be quite dark but the bass itself should be fairly clear?

All that bumf is the Roland Vbass pickup. I might get it installed internally one day but quite like it how it is... it's been like this for some time so why change it now!

ped

Ah OK thanks.

The Vbass is a great piece of kit - I use it as my pre-amp and as a monitoring system for IEM. I will be doing a little demo at the Bass Bash in October apparently!! Basically the Roland pickup (thin one at the bridge) knows the height of each string and it's length from the saddle to the nut. It then processes each string individually so you can play polyphonic synths, strings, effects and so on - and do amazingly accurate impressions of 'essential' basses like a Jazz or a Stingray. You can do this by essentially moving virtual pickups around the bass.

90% of the time I am playing clean with the magnetic pickups but when you feel like a bit of Marcus Miller, it's there, on a bass I enjoy playing more than anything else I have had.

Sorry, went on a bit there - but it is really hard to sum up such a comprehensive bit of kit otherwise! Since having it installed I have been completely blown away by it and have found that they actually have an impressive list of users such as Richard Bona and Leyland Sklar. Quite an undiscovered gem IMO!

Cheers
ped

Cheers Darbs!! Welcome any time ;0)

Sam the Fender guitar had the stuff built in and hidden from view (actually you can still see the Roland pickup but the guitar one is smaller and they used a white one to blend in). You can also drive the Vbass unit using Piezo elements in the bridge, like on Kiwi's MIDI bass.

EDIT: here's the Strat:

[quote name='ped' post='567513' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:20 AM']Just playing with my new camera... got a quick snap here, it's a bit blurry actually but will get some better ones tomorrow. Just wanted to ask though, on my monitor the picture is very clear and sharp, but having posted a black and white pic on here before some said it was very dark on their monitors. Over at Flickr I have looked at the pics in the black&white section and they all seem about the same levels as mine.. so how does it look to you?

Cheers
ped

[/quote]
I've been on the look out for a passion like this for years - either missed out or no money at the time . Always wanted a white one , and non of that 90/10 malarkey - it's graphite only for me on everything now . I know that you'd probably never sell , but I'm going to be cheeky and ask . :)

Ah you missed a white one on eBay fairly recently. I will keep my eyes peeled for you. There might be one on the Vigier forum for sale but I haven't asked weather it had sold.

I also have a fretless, series III, but I am finding I hardly play it any more, despite it being probably my main recording bas for a while. Like you I think the magic lies in the full graphite necks, mainly because I like the dead straight profile.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='E sharp' post='568475' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:28 PM']I've been on the look out for a passion like this for years - either missed out or no money at the time . Always wanted a white one , and non of that 90/10 malarkey - it's graphite only for me on everything now . I know that you'd probably never sell , but I'm going to be cheeky and ask . :)[/quote]

Better not let you see my old Arpege then....!

My first introduction to Vigier was back in '87 when I was 16. My boss at the music shop I worked at had a white Passion - full graphite neck - that was it! Wonderful. Ped's bass is a monster - I think the only way he'd let it go would for it to be prised from his cold dead hands, or £40,000!

Nick

[quote name='ped' post='568494' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:58 PM']That's exactly how I plan on getting your Arpege, Nick (and not the £40,000 part)

...See you at the bash *evil laugh*[/quote]

Ooo! Mmmm!

You forget boy, that I'm a werewolf (you've seen the way my eyebrows meet in the middle) and I will eat you prior to running off with your Passion!!! Make sure that the moon is full when planning next bashage!

Do you still have that pic of you, Luke and moi with the Vigiers??

[quote name='ped' post='567513' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:20 AM'][/quote]

Great pic, on my monitor it doesn't look dark, doesn't look blurred and the bass looks very sexy. I like how the grain of the bass and floor seem to run into one another in places.

I'm pretty sure I've seen old Bellamy with a Roland something or other on one or two of his guitars. Sounds like quite a versatile unit to have on bass from your description.

[quote name='ped' post='568549' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:55 PM']Here we are!! Three plebs and our tortured instruments!

[/quote]
Who's that greedy so and so with 3 . Is it the good Doc ? :) Honestly that photo has some lovely specimans . Did that come out right ? I meant the basses - you do know that , don't you ?

[quote name='E sharp' post='569204' date='Aug 14 2009, 04:40 PM']Who's that greedy so and so with 3 . Is it the good Doc ? :) Honestly that photo has some lovely specimans . Did that come out right ? I meant the basses - you do know that , don't you ?[/quote]

Actually I only had two Vigier's at that point (that fretless is Ped's!) but then bought another Passion with a full graphite neck - I'm down to one presently, which is my main bass, the blue Arpege! I'm the good looking meaty chap on the left of course!