Why become a member? ×

in theory..........

bassbarber

Is it not like "Trigger's Broom" then?
All that's original is the body...

And consider this;
Manufacturer "X" gets his bridges, Tuners, Nuts, etc.etc. far cheaper than you can @ retail prices. They can make a whole bass for less than you can buy the bits!
Unless you have a [i]serious[/i] sentimental attachment to a given bit of timber, it probably isn't worth it.
Whatever the results.

You definitely can. I've done it to most of my basses. The added flex you get in choosing your own bits is the key to making it good over a just expensive bass. Only thing is the neck pocket and such woodwork issues, thing is, with modern C&C woodcutting hard to go wrong. Oh, fret dress too. Its not financially worht it generally, but its cheaper than going custom to get what you are after.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='567254' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:05 PM']Is it not like "Trigger's Broom" then?
All that's original is the body...

And consider this;
Manufacturer "X" gets his bridges, Tuners, Nuts, etc.etc. far cheaper than you can @ retail prices. They can make a whole bass for less than you can buy the bits!
Unless you have a [i]serious[/i] sentimental attachment to a given bit of timber, it probably isn't worth it.
Whatever the results.[/quote]

Alex, I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure I can agree with you there.....

As always it depends upon what you start with and how much you spend......

No one on here denied my H1 P bass wasn't worth doing, and it lit Voxpop's fuse when he initially liberated it from me.

Even something as simple and inexpensive as a Squier or Mex Fender can be made into a quality playing instrument IF the wood bits are really good to start with and some of them are that good!

I always hear of this over on talkbass regarding SX's. Meant to be nice necks and bodies to justifiy the price to then in some sense rebuild them to how you like it ie. PUP's, Bridge, Tuners.

I myself would rather buy it all separatly and throw it togethor as i am making my own Jazz bass from things bought from here and eBay all of which are top quality and i will know i have a quality bass at the end and also starting a 5'er Thunberbird bass project like that too.
Which hopefully (fingers crossed :)) in the end will leave me with two top notch basses with exactly what i want in them and set up exactly how i like them but this really isn't a cheap thing to do. I have spent quite a bit on building my jazz (which still is in the garage waiting for me to finish its finish...)

When I started playing the thing to do was to get a decent Japanese Fender copy (Tokai or JV Squier), change the pickups, bridge, nut & tuners and you would end up with a bass that (in most instances) was much better and more useable than a US Fender for much less money - especially the 70s ones everyone seems to like these days. If it's a decent instrument to start with then it's definitely worth doing it but don't expect your money back if you sell it. :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='567391' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:14 PM']don't expect your money back if you sell it. :)[/quote]

Same rule applies as with other rig bits. If you buy the parts second hand, you can expect your money back if you par tit out again. Parts I have rotate between my basses until one is 'done' or someone likes one enough to cover the costs and buys it from me.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='567291' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:48 PM']Alex, I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure I can agree with you there.....

As always it depends upon what you start with and how much you spend......

No one on here denied my H1 P bass wasn't worth doing, and it lit Voxpop's fuse when he initially liberated it from me.

Even something as simple and inexpensive as a Squier or Mex Fender can be made into a quality playing instrument IF the wood bits are really good to start with and some of them are that good![/quote]
Perhaps I should've added a caveat regarding making aesthetic changes at the same time!
If, as a result of "upgrades", you end up with a better looking instrument, or (better yet)
a genuinely new look, then it's a win-win scenario.

[quote name='bassbarber' post='567195' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:34 PM']if you changed your pickups, machine heads, strings, bridge and neck to like good quality gear would you have a good bass ? just thought this and wondered if it was true because i thing it is and northway does not.[/quote]

if you buy all that stuff as fitted as original on a bass...would you then think about swapping out stuff
i think its a serious illness to start blaming the tools
get down to some real work and practice
i bet a really good player could make your bass sound better