Why become a member? ×

Pete Wylie...Scouse genious or workshy fop?

thebeat

Been giving my Pete Wylie/Wah!/ Wah! Heat/Mighty Wah! Shambeko say Wah!...etc,etc...yada, yada...stuff a spin, on Word to the Wiseguy at the moment, and was wondering why Wylie seems to polarise opinion so strongly when it comes to his music? I know that he comes across as an opinionated arse at times but you gotta admire his nads for doing his own thing and staying true to his ideals...aint ya? after all this is the same bloke that once described Ian McCulloch as the ugliest man in rock music...not that we needed telling Pete...we knew that.

So what say ye? Is Wylie madder than a box of frogs or is he, as i suspect, a talented but misunderstood, cheeky scouse git who wrote some really beautiful arrangements with some seriously tasty bass lines?

I realise that most readers will, at this point, be wondering what the f*** i'm on about, sorry bout that...for those that actually remember Wah! your input is appreciated.

I was a big fan of the early Wah Heat stuff back in the early 80s. Loved the really driving guitar and bass lines but thought Pete Wylie disappeared up his proverbial after he hit big time with Story of the Blues.

Saw them live at Heaven in Charing X Road around 1981/2 supported by Throbbing Gristle and the delightful Surgical Penis Klinik. Wah's bass player, Washington I think he was called, was sick and had to leave the stage half-way through so Julian Cope came onstage and jammed the rest of the gig. Bloody ace!

i was at that too :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='563750' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:35 PM']I was a big fan of the early Wah Heat stuff back in the early 80s. Loved the really driving guitar and bass lines but thought Pete Wylie disappeared up his proverbial after he hit big time with Story of the Blues.

Saw them live at Heaven in Charing X Road around 1981/2 supported by Throbbing Gristle and the delightful Surgical Penis Klinik. Wah's bass player, Washington I think he was called, was sick and had to leave the stage half-way through so Julian Cope came onstage and jammed the rest of the gig. Bloody ace![/quote]