Why become a member? ×

The new Geddy Lee Jazz

SS73

Just been looking at [url="http://www.bassplayer.tv/"]http://www.bassplayer.tv/[/url] and the interviews with Geddy ''Bass Collection''. He there mentions that his new Basses will have new tuners, (seem to remember he always fitted Schallers to the Ric's.) is this true?. Also he mentions the sanded down unlacquered neck finish, this too?, wouldn't think its a very good idea here in old soggy uk though.

Geddy wasn't impressed with the tuners on his signature model apparently and there has been talk of them changing for a few years. I've had two GL basses and they had identical looking tuners but one set behaved a bit better than the other set. Funnily enough, I kept the bass with the iffy set and they're absolutely fine now. I think they were talking about a 'satin' finish on the new production necks, rather than completely open, but I haven't seen any with this yet. Seems that's the feel Geddy prefers these days.

Have to admit that I hate the really glossy necks on these basses. I played one in GG in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't the greatest bass playing experience.

However, wiping the back of the neck with some 0000 wire wool would sort that out. 1 minute job for many, many hours of bass joy. I've done this to every shop-bought bass I've ever had.

Why the heck can't they do it in the factory? Never mind the satin finish, get the wire wool out :)

[quote name='jonsmith' post='560371' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:01 PM']Geddy wasn't impressed with the tuners on his signature model apparently and there has been talk of them changing for a few years. I've had two GL basses and they had identical looking tuners but one set behaved a bit better than the other set. Funnily enough, I kept the bass with the iffy set and they're absolutely fine now. I think they were talking about a 'satin' finish on the new production necks, rather than completely open, but I haven't seen any with this yet. Seems that's the feel Geddy prefers these days.[/quote]

Funny really that Fender have been happy with the tuners for all these years.

:wacko: Just noticed your bass collection, WOW all my fav stuff...

[quote name='SS73' post='561053' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:04 PM']Funny really that Fender have been happy with the tuners for all these years.[/quote]
theres probabk=ly a bit of scratching around to try and find some decent USP's here, something to really differentiate it more to justify the extra $$'s

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SS73' post='561053' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:04 PM']Funny really that Fender have been happy with the tuners for all these years.[/quote]

I'm not convinced they're as good quality as even 'bog-standard' Fender tuners.

[quote name='SS73' post='561053' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:04 PM']:wacko: Just noticed your bass collection, WOW all my fav stuff...[/quote]

I had more money than sense at one point & actually believed that I might need them all.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SS73' post='560335' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:27 PM']Just been looking at [url="http://www.bassplayer.tv/"]http://www.bassplayer.tv/[/url] and the interviews with Geddy ''Bass Collection''. He there mentions that his new Basses will have new tuners, (seem to remember he always fitted Schallers to the Ric's.) is this true?. Also he mentions the sanded down unlacquered neck finish, this too?, wouldn't think its a very good idea here in old soggy uk though.[/quote]

That's an old/quite old piece of footage; maybe a year to eighteen months. There was another interview I saw with GL that pre-dates this where he says they had issues with the machines.
P

• 3 months later...

Ok, I'm really thinking of just going ahead and buying a new one, but are any of the above mod's now current in the Bass? be nice to get the latest version. Gak have them for £669 all in, but are these the current models, one would hope as they must sell quite a few. Can you visit Gak and try basses, as I am a firm believer in trying and selecting a nice sounding un amplified guitar, having had possibly the most dead sounding 73 Jazz in existance.