Why become a member? ×

playing gigs

[quote name='Bassassin' post='562597' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:51 AM']Don't do it! Never give up, never surrender! :)

As another 40-something old duffer playing originals I am painfully aware that broadly speaking Joe Public won't take original material & bands seriously unless it has been validated for them - people need press, radio, TV, the web etc to basically say it's OK to like something before they'll front up cash - or even make the time to go & see it.

I have played covers (to help subsidise an original band) and the fact that you're playing other peoples' songs gives you a validation that playing your own material doesn't - no matter how accomplished your own work may be there's an attitude that "if you can play ******* then you must be good!" Madness!

The band I'm in now has been gigging since 2000 and it's fair to say couldn't attract flies to a sh!t fight, but it's not because we suck. Our favourite gigs are out-of-town ones where we're a completely unknown quantity, often playing first on the bill to another band's audience - we always, without fail, get massive amounts of praise & compliments, sell CDs & T-shirts (when we're organised enough to remember to bring them) and have new people getting in touch through Myspace. It seems in no way a disadvantage that we're often twice the age of the bands that we gig with and the people we play to.

For me, playing music, specifically gigging, whether it be to 2 people or 200 is a life-affirming experience - we've had a couple of long breaks (6 months or so) and I hate it - in a sense gigging is what I play music for. However covers isn't really an option despite the advantages of audience size, public approbation, regular gigs & even money - I need to have a passion for what I play. I co-write my band's material with our singer, and it may be wildly egotistical, but I like our stuff better than 99% of pretty much everything else - and I actively don't want to play anything else.

Jon.[/quote]

+1 to 99% of the above. We always go down a storm away from home too; problem is fitting those "away" gigs into busy 40-something lives. I think what I live for musically these days though is the writing (probably always was really).

[quote name='4000' post='563250' date='Aug 8 2009, 01:16 AM']+1 to 99% of the above. We always go down a storm away from home too; problem is fitting those "away" gigs into busy 40-something lives. I think what I live for musically these days though is the writing (probably always was really).[/quote]
Having just spent something like 4 years writing the best music I've ever been involved with - I can understand that entirely. But now I just want to play it!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='563255' date='Aug 8 2009, 01:28 AM']Having just spent something like 4 years writing the best music I've ever been involved with - I can understand that entirely. But now I just want to play it!

J.[/quote]

And therein lies the dilemma....