Why become a member? ×

Yamaha/Cort/Vintage/Tanglewood - any opinions?

andrewrx7

Hi there,

Does anyone have any hands on opinions of the following 5-string basses:

Vintage V1005
Yamaha RBX 775
Cort T75
Tanglewood Canyon 2
Cort Curbow 5

I am looking for a 2nd bass as a backup to my current one (Shecter Diamond Stilleto (daft name!)).

I’ve read some mixed comments on the Vintage (specifically about the weedy neck up) – anyone used this bass before and any thoughts on the sound and pickups?

I have been seriously looking at the Cort T75, but can’t quite convince myself that for £500 it is really worth it. Anyone used it before?

I do like the Yamaha but they are few and far between – they generally get very good reviews – can anyone corroborate this? I did have a lesser RBX model years ago and thought it was a very nice bass, but not this specific model.

I play the Schecter through a Trace head and cab and it sounds excellent. I like a certain amount of metallic twangy-ness (oh yes, no harm on making up words!) with the deep bottom end in the sound, and the Schecter delivers this perfectly (fitted with stock EMG HZ’s). I can’t get to try any of the above, so opinions would be appreciated if anyone has used these before.

The bass I had before the Schecter sounded like it was playing through mud compared to the brightness that the Schecter gives. Although I only want to spend a limited amount on the back up, I also don’t want another muddy sounding plank.

I know opinions are all very subjective and I appreciate that, but equally they can useful from real world users.

Thanks
Andrew

I tried a fretless Canyon 2 this week and loved it. It sounded better than a fretless Yamaha for example. I'm seriously considering buying it, will return soon and try the fretted Canyon 3 they also had to see if the different wood makes any difference to sound.

I only played for very few minutes, I'd say tone-wise it didn't sound as good as Warwick, definitely not as good as the AWESOME Spector they had there going for more than 2 grand second hand (which is now probably the best-sounding bass I ever played in my life, putting Warwick to shame) but it did sound good! I'd say maybe at the level of Ibanez but I think slightly better!

Build seemed flawless, it's through-neck has great access to high notes and looks good!

Downsides I'd say it's very unbalanced, too heavy on the neck, I want to play for longer to see if I get a feel that it will be too tiring to play for long periods, and I read it eats batteries. And I never heard of East River pickups, probably rubbish?

I'm selling the Cort Curbow 5 i got on here a cuple of weeks ago, it's got a new set of Elites on it (there were only 4 rusty strings on when i got it!) and is in great condition. Bought it as a backup but have since got a cheap Jazz to cover that, this was too nice to leave in the van

Luthite body in crazy-ass gold finish
Ebanol fretboard
Bartolini AMK1-4/F Pickup
Bartolini MK-2 EQ, 3 band job with slap contour switch

Both the eq gain and slap are adjustable via trim pots on the backplate.

Would like £170 plus postage (i paid £160 plus postage and had to buy strings for it)
Also have a spare set of Elites for it at £15 too

Yeah it is, i've not had it long at all. Basically i needed a bass which i could leave lying around and not really bother about. Saw that one and sort of convinced myself to buy it! However it's a bit too nice (no chips or anything, shop condition) so i bought a £45 beater as a spare. It's been re-strung and played a few times and that's it