Why become a member? ×

macp

Good evening all

Newbie here from cheshire.A bit about myself im (ahem) 42yrs old married with 1 child.I took up bass many years ago not seriously though and sadly I gave it up shortly after when I discovered drink and women.Not sure which order though.My music tastes extend all over the place but my first love would have to be soul/funk.

So here I am several years on feeling inspired and wanting to take it up again.Im not expecting to get into a band but Im doing this for my own pleasure at the moment.I dont want to think too deeply about this but can I ask the forum there opinion on whether I should go for a 4, 5 or 6 string bass.I dont want to spend anymore than £150 to £200.

My brother is a bass player and has just bought a Shine 6 string.He reckons after seeing me tinkering with his 6 string that I could comfortably go for one myself.He himself says that playing a 6 string over a 4 string has been a revelation for him and he wishes he had done it sooner.

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying.

Hi macp and welcome :)

Post your 4,5 or 6 question in 'Basses' or 'general discussion' and wait for the fun to start.

Personally, anything more than 4 muddles me, but as you've been giving your fingers a bit of a break, you'll probably slot straight into the whole multi-string soul-funk thing with no probs!

Cheers

Skank

Hi
Just joined the site myself but I would say that how many strings depends what music you're into. I bought and quickly sold a 5 string bass because I realised that I didn't need more than 4 for the bands that I'm in. I feel comfortable and confident on a 4 string but it was an awkward new learning experience adding a bottom B. It also rattled my speakers a little too much. Each to their own I suppose, there will always for and against's but no right and wrongs.
Andy BB (the ageing rocker)

• 2 weeks later...