Why become a member? ×

American Deluxe 9 hole scratchplate....where can i get a replacement?!

stewartmusic

Right, this is my first post and i only had a 5 min look through older posts but couldnt see anything that could answr my questions, if i am wrong, feel free to post a link to the answering page :rolleyes:

anyhooo

i have recently bought a 2009 AM Deluxe 5 string Jazz for my 18th and i ordered the montego black finish, not realizing it came with a nasty looking 'beveled gold' scratch plate. I would like to change this to a nice tort shell finish.

I have contacted fender and they have just said that the don't sell the tort scratchplate as a spare and recommended me to allparts and dm music, allparts was a bust because unfortunately the AM deluxe has a 9 hole scratchplate not a standard 10 or 11 hole, which are the only ones allparts stock. :)

so tried DM music and bit more success in the shape of having to get one custom made with a shiny pricetag of £55.

I have resigned myself to the fact that i may have to bite the bullet and get the custom plate, but if anyone else knows of a place that i can either a) get a tort 9 hole scratchplae or :D no of somewhere cheap to get a custom one.

now i am not in the habit of buying custom scratchplates so if you read this and think im being crazy not getting the scratchplate for £55 please let me know as well :lol:

hope there is someone out there with an answer for meeee

thanks

dara

• 6 months later...

Hi

On Saturday I succumbed to GAS and brought a s/h 4 string USA Jazz Deluxe from GAK.

It's kind of Burgundy colour but has a black pickguard. I reckon a torty or pearly white would look better.

I've started looking on t'web and there seems to be a few places in the US selling at about $45 but I haven't investigated shipping yet. So £55 seems about. (I realise this is an old thread btw)

Let me know if you find out anything else

Cheers
Graham

Hello and welcome to the forum. Excellent choice of bass. I absolutely love my us deluxe jazz Vs - best playing and sounding basses I have ever owned.

I recently got mine resprayed so needed new plates to suit the finish. I got a couple of b/w/b plates throug aurora project and I have to say I was distinctly unimpressed with the quality. The two plates were different sizes, were badly cut - in one case so badly that there's a gaping hole visible between the plate and chrome control cover. I even sent them the original tortoisehsell plate from my bass as a guide. I should have contacted them to voice my displeasure.

I have a proposal for you though. I still have the tort plate sitting here unused - tortoisehell and purple and royal blue just don't mix! I would be willing to sell it for £20 inc shipping or swap it for a set of Fender Superbass strings. How does that sound? It's a genuine fender plate in pretty good condition - a few surface scratches, but nothing noticeable.

Hans

Edited by bassbloke

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the info!It was really weird to log into my e-mail and see that a reply had been made to my post....I forgot I had even made a post!

Funnily enough i hadnt even made a decision about where to buy the plate from yet, was putting it off as the student lifestyle dosent really allow for a purchase of £55!

So ive mailed bassblock about his scratchplate and hopefully the info that has been put up in this thread will help somebody else:)

p.s DM music didnt used to have the array of plates it does now and after having a look there are loads of different designs that might be worth having a look at if anyone else is interested, I had considered aurora music but didnt try them out so i cant vouch for anything said about them in the thread.

thanks again guys!

dara