Why become a member? ×

'73 Fender Jazz body, PUPs, control plate/pots, covers etc.

This is very much a feeler at present, but as I'm having to rationalise a few things at present I think I might have to sell these. I bought the Jazz Bass to which they belong just over a year ago. The neck is an unlined and bound fretless which I love to death. However, it was not original (i.e., it was originally fretted) and that, and the fact that the body has been stripped and oiled, means that the bass was never going to be a collector's item. The bass has been my number 1 instrument for the past year, but the desire to get all the sounds I need from one bass - rather than switching between fretless Jazz and fretless Precision - meant that I recently decided to upgrade to active electronics. Neither a J-Retro or Sadowsky pre-amp fitted in the control cavity so, not wanting to tear into the '73 body, I bought a Warmoth body from Higgie, and I've been playing the fretless neck through a J-Retro and Nordstrands in that body ever since. I've kinda lost the urge to collect old Fenders and now simply want to have three basses that work (my main fretless Jazz, my back-up Precision fretless, and a utility fretted), so much as I'd like to hang on to these bits, I doubt I'll use them again.

The PUPs work fine and I see no reason why they shouldn't continue to do so. The body has a tiny route under the pickguard which is not big enough for a 9V battery (I tried trust me). The covers and bridge may or may not be original, they look it but who can tell? The pickguard, although very old and beaten, isn't. I've taken close up pics of the PUPs and controls for insurance purposes but they're on another computer. I'll post those and some pics of the rest when I can get to that on Sunday. I've no idea of the value of these - I've seen similar age PUPs go for close to $1000 in the US, but then they're all mad over there. I paid £1000 for the bass and I guess if I get less than £500 for the parts it was an expensive neck, but c'est la vie! I'm quite happy for folks to voice their opinions on price below.

Pics below. Neck DEFINITELY not for sale :)

[attachment=29765:Jazz_Bas...complete.JPG][attachment=29513:CIMG0261.JPG]
[attachment=29766:Jazz_Bass_body_1.JPG][attachment=29767:Jazz_Bass_body_2.JPG]
[attachment=29768:Jazz_Bass_body_3.JPG][attachment=29769:Jazz_Bas...pocket_1.JPG]
[attachment=29770:Jazz_Bass_pocket.JPG][attachment=29771:Jazz_Bass_PUP_1.JPG]
[attachment=29772:Jazz_Bass_PUP_2.JPG][attachment=29773:Jazz_Bass_pots_1.JPG]
[attachment=29774:CIMG0499.JPG]

Bridge is currently on my '77 Precision. Crap photo as the P is very white and bounces the light around. Although it's certainly old I can't say whether it's genuine

[attachment=29775:CIMG0489.JPG]

Chris

Edited by Beedster

OK, I had a few chats over the weekend and looked at a few ebay prices and it seems that £500 for the lot is a good price. Alternatively:

PUPs £250 the pair
Control plate, pots, knobs, socket £75
Body & pickguard £250
Covers £50 the pair

These prices are a hell of a lot less than some of the guys in the US are selling similar bits.

I'll admit to feeling a little like one of those guys in California who buy up old Fenders cheap, split them, and then sell the parts at a huge profit. Flip side is that the bass is not original and, given that I'm now using the neck on a custom bass, I simply don't need these parts anymore (and could sure use the cash at the moment). Like I said above, if anyone thinks the prices are extreme I'm not going to be precious about them posting on here as, if that's the case, I guess the stuff won't sell anyway.

I'll be aiming to get pics on either pater today or tomorrow

Chris

[quote name='Sibob' post='552424' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:46 AM']I assume you've used the (original?) bridge on the current warmoth fretless?

Si[/quote]

Hiya Si
No, I'm using a Badass on the Warmoth (I'm using that bass with J-Retro and rounds for a more contemporary fretless tone whilst using the fretless Precision with heavy flats for a more upright tone). The original bridge will be included with the body, the proviso being that I'm not sufficiently expert to say whether or not it's the actual original bridge. It doesn't have the longer screw on the G but apparently that doesn't rule it out as a '73. BUT, whilst I'm confident with pots, PUPs, body etc, I'm really not with bridges. Once I get some pics up perhaps you'll be able to let me have your thoughts?
Cheers
Chris

Yeah maybe some close-ups of the bridge, mybe 99ster and WoT can help us out lol!

Would you sell the bridge separately from the body at all? depending on it's authenticity obviously

Cheers mate
Si

[quote name='King Tut' post='553336' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:49 PM']Ooh very tempted Mr B![/quote]

Hi mate, long time! I'm in MK next Monday...?

[quote name='Sibob' post='553412' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:03 AM']Yeah maybe some close-ups of the bridge, mybe 99ster and WoT can help us out lol!

Would you sell the bridge separately from the body at all? depending on it's authenticity obviously

Cheers mate
Si[/quote]

Hi Si
If no-one wants the body, PUPs etc as a whole I'll certainly split. Pics tomorrow with any luck
Cheers
Chris

[quote]Hi Si
If no-one wants the body, PUPs etc as a whole I'll certainly split. Pics tomorrow with any luck[/quote]

If you were to go down this route, I'd possibly be interested in the bridge pending a price

Cheers mate
Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='554462' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:40 PM']If you were to go down this route, I'd possibly be interested in the bridge pending a price

Cheers mate
Si[/quote]

Anyone out there hazard a guess as to whether that bridge (pic in first post) is original? In the meantime I'll try and take some better pics today.
Chris

PM'd
[quote name='Beedster' post='550454' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:01 PM']This is very much a feeler at present, but as I'm having to rationalise a few things at present I think I might have to sell these. I bought the Jazz Bass to which they belong just over a year ago. The neck is an unlined and bound fretless which I love to death. However, it was not original (i.e., it was originally fretted) and that, and the fact that the body has been stripped and oiled, means that the bass was never going to be a collector's item. The bass has been my number 1 instrument for the past year, but the desire to get all the sounds I need from one bass - rather than switching between fretless Jazz and fretless Precision - meant that I recently decided to upgrade to active electronics. Neither a J-Retro or Sadowsky pre-amp fitted in the control cavity so, not wanting to tear into the '73 body, I bought a Warmoth body from Higgie, and I've been playing the fretless neck through a J-Retro and Nordstrands in that body ever since. I've kinda lost the urge to collect old Fenders and now simply want to have three basses that work (my main fretless Jazz, my back-up Precision fretless, and a utility fretted), so much as I'd like to hang on to these bits, I doubt I'll use them again.

The PUPs work fine and I see no reason why they shouldn't continue to do so. The body has a tiny route under the pickguard which is not big enough for a 9V battery (I tried trust me). The covers and bridge may or may not be original, they look it but who can tell? The pickguard, although very old and beaten, isn't. I've taken close up pics of the PUPs and controls for insurance purposes but they're on another computer. I'll post those and some pics of the rest when I can get to that on Sunday. I've no idea of the value of these - I've seen similar age PUPs go for close to $1000 in the US, but then they're all mad over there. I paid £1000 for the bass and I guess if I get less than £500 for the parts it was an expensive neck, but c'est la vie! I'm quite happy for folks to voice their opinions on price below.

Pics below. Neck DEFINITELY not for sale :)

[attachment=29765:Jazz_Bas...complete.JPG][attachment=29513:CIMG0261.JPG]
[attachment=29766:Jazz_Bass_body_1.JPG][attachment=29767:Jazz_Bass_body_2.JPG]
[attachment=29768:Jazz_Bass_body_3.JPG][attachment=29769:Jazz_Bas...pocket_1.JPG]
[attachment=29770:Jazz_Bass_pocket.JPG][attachment=29771:Jazz_Bass_PUP_1.JPG]
[attachment=29772:Jazz_Bass_PUP_2.JPG][attachment=29773:Jazz_Bass_pots_1.JPG]
[attachment=29774:CIMG0499.JPG]

Bridge is currently on my '77 Precision. Crap photo as the P is very white and bounces the light around. Although it's certainly old I can't say whether it's genuine

[attachment=29775:CIMG0489.JPG]

Chris[/quote]