Why become a member? ×

2x10 v's 4x10

Guest MoJo

I have a Trace Elliot 122H combo, 2 x 10" drivers and HF horn, rated at 200 watts at a nominal 8 ohms. The amplifier features the GP12 pre-amp and is rated at 300 watts into a minimum load of 4 ohms.

I have been toying with the idea of adding an extension cabinet to hopefully give me a little more headroom. My first chioce was the 2103H cabinet (2x10 + HF horn). Again rated at 200 watts and 8 ohms. Another possibility is the 1048H (4x10) also rated at 200 watts and 8 ohms. Then I got to thinking, if the impedances match on both the internal drivers and the extension cabinet, then theoretically the power from the amplifier would be split 50/50 between both. If half the power is going to the two internal drivers and half to the four drivers in the extension cabinet, surely the internal drivers will be driven twice as hard and at the point that they are nearing their maximum excursion, the drivers in the 4x10 will only be half way toward theirs.

Is my assumption correct or am I missing something? Would it just be easier to stick to plan A and get the 2103H?

At 4 ohms, you'll potentially be able to put 300 watts into both cabs, ie 150 watts into each. That's within spec and less than you currently put into the combo speakers, so you should have no problem. And are you really going to run the amp flat out?

Edit. I was going to recommend you go with the 410 but its very underpowered.

Edited by chris_b

(As a bit of background) I own a cut-up H122smx. I removed the head and made a sleeve, converting the remaining carcass into a cab resembling a 2103H. I routed the back panel, fitted a proper connector plate, the lot. Why? it was too tall for the boot of my car, and robbed me of the flexibility of using my other cabs (1048h,1153) separately.

I say "resembling" a 2103h, as the Trace combos have shallower cabs with their (shorter) ports tuned to higher frequencies. The 2103h is about 30% bigger.
The 2103h also has a better hf horn and the attenuator.
If Trace had fitted a head to the standard-sized cabs, I doubt anyone could lift them!

My advice... The 1048h is a good cab, but it's quite big and b*****d heavy!
I can't vouch for a H122smx + 2103h vs. AH300 + 1048h. Never had chance to try it.
Whilst many will mope about the driver mixing that a 2x10 and 1x15 represents, it sounds pretty ok.
The H122smx + 1048h pairing works well, but the "combo half" has 2x10 @ 8ohms against the 4x10 @ 8ohms, and can sound stressed by comparison when you turn the wick up a bit.

My best advice;

Whatever cab is going on the bottom, get some good castors to go on it. If they're locking, put them on diagonally opposed corners, so you can't tip it over!!
I just stack the whole lot up, secure with a ratchet strap and pull it to wherever I'm going!

[quote name='bassman2790' post='547212' date='Jul 22 2009, 12:50 AM']....Then I got to thinking, if the impedances match on both the internal drivers and the extension cabinet, then theoretically the power from the amplifier would be split 50/50 between both. If half the power is going to the two internal drivers and half to the four drivers in the extension cabinet, surely the internal drivers will be driven twice as hard and at the point that they are nearing their maximum excursion, the drivers in the 4x10 will only be half way toward theirs....[/quote]
Maximum excursion? Sorry, but no!! The internal drivers are [b]not[/b] "driven twice as hard", the 410 drivers will be driven [b]half as hard[/b] and that's not going to damage your speakers. As I said your combo is only putting 150 watts into each cab and that's well within spec.

Edited by chris_b