Why become a member? ×

De-lurking

LukewarmWater

Hello there

Having been lurking for some time I thought it only right and proper that I should register and introduce myself, both allowing me to contribute my dubious bass-related observations and possibly to satisfy some pent up GAS!

I handle bass duties in a classic/power metal band called Kachana. I play rock not-terribly, fretless sub-par and bad, bad slap. Influence-wise I wish I was as good as a host of prog (Squire, Lee, Trewavas, Lake, Myung), rock (Sheehan, Hamm, Entwhistle, DiGiorgio) and jazz (Manring, Jaco, Wooten, Miller) bassists.

Basses: Warwick Fortress One 4 string, Yamaha BBNE 5 string, De-fretted Yamaha RBX6JM with entirely new electronics.
Amps: Markbass LMKII, SWR Workingmans 15, Tech 21 VT Bass and an assortment of other pedals.

In terms of Basschat members; I've bored the tits off geilerbass talking about basses in the pub on a few occasions and I believe I once traded an unpaired 8 string bass (that made me look tiny and where I actually got lost on the fingerboard) with global mod Shockwave.

Cheers!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='546727' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:59 PM']Hey Sheildy, long time no speak! How did you know i was Shockwave? ;)

Currently i am in a band with Gareth from Amputated :)[/quote]

Hi guys and thanks for welcomes. Went to your Myspace link Zoe, nice to hear someone with similar names on the influences list and that plays that well; got some groove going on there :rolleyes:

Good to hear from you again Rob. I saw some link or other from a post and happened to click on a profile link, saw the name Asomodai and some long neglected neurons fired into action :lol: The amazing deductive powers of a C++ programmer I guess :D

How's the Bristol metal scene these days? What sort of stuff are you doing in your new band? Is Gareth still pounding out those impressive kick drum beats? And, more importantly, how's the bass and <whisper>guitar</whisper> collection these days?

Cheers,
Shieldy

[quote name='LukewarmWater' post='547210' date='Jul 22 2009, 12:49 AM']Hi guys and thanks for welcomes. Went to your Myspace link Zoe, nice to hear someone with similar names on the influences list and that plays that well; got some groove going on there :lol:

Good to hear from you again Rob. I saw some link or other from a post and happened to click on a profile link, saw the name Asomodai and some long neglected neurons fired into action :D The amazing deductive powers of a C++ programmer I guess :huh:

How's the Bristol metal scene these days? What sort of stuff are you doing in your new band? Is Gareth still pounding out those impressive kick drum beats? And, more importantly, how's the bass and <whisper>guitar</whisper> collection these days?

Cheers,
Shieldy[/quote]

Metal Scene? Worse then before tbh, Venues are closing down, promoters are getting thin on the ice, no one is coming out to watch bands. Apart from the reasonably big bands (Amputated and co) we dont have much anymore! Gareths just fine, hes tamed down the drums for this band ;) www.myspace.com/rowofashes1 (I am not on that demo but we are recording an Ep in the next month!)

We'll be playing Antixmas, Sachas booked us up to do it this year.

Bass collection, just one at the moment :) Pedulla Pentabuzz 5 string fretless, i have discovered the joys of being 100% fretless :rolleyes: Your playing on the first IOC was actually some influence going into fretless full time. (As well as the guy from Quo Vadis)

Guitar collection? Dont speak of it, i started writing for ROA a few months ago and decided to buy a guitar and amp, I now have a half stack and 4 guitars, i need to get rid of them! Why does this always happen, i am a bass player and have 4 guitars :rolleyes:

Anyway, i hope things are good with you and Kachana! :D

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Shockwave' post='547476' date='Jul 22 2009, 12:33 PM']Metal Scene? Worse then before tbh, Venues are closing down, promoters are getting thin on the ice, no one is coming out to watch bands. Apart from the reasonably big bands (Amputated and co) we dont have much anymore! Gareths just fine, hes tamed down the drums for this band :lol: www.myspace.com/rowofashes1 (I am not on that demo but we are recording an Ep in the next month!)

We'll be playing Antixmas, Sachas booked us up to do it this year.

Bass collection, just one at the moment :) Pedulla Pentabuzz 5 string fretless, i have discovered the joys of being 100% fretless :lol: Your playing on the first IOC was actually some influence going into fretless full time. (As well as the guy from Quo Vadis)

Guitar collection? Dont speak of it, i started writing for ROA a few months ago and decided to buy a guitar and amp, I now have a half stack and 4 guitars, i need to get rid of them! Why does this always happen, i am a bass player and have 4 guitars :rolleyes:

Anyway, i hope things are good with you and Kachana! :lol:[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I've seen Row of Ashes (at the Junction I think), back when Rich was in the band. Kachana were supposed to be playing as well but singer Tom got a fantastically-poorly timed chest infection and we had to pull out. From what I remember it's pretty good stuff, although I was slightly the worse for wear by that point :lol: The Myspace stuff sounds promising; are you planning on recording anything soon?

Interesting to hear about going 100% fretless. Glad the IOC stuff was a touch of an influence, although I sincerely hope you weren't influenced by some of the more ... "jazz" ... moments of intonation on there :lol: Is it DiGiorgio on the Quo Vadis CD? The man is a damn fine fretless metal bassist.

I could really do with getting back into the fretless stuff more these days, it's so much fun to play but it doesn't suit the new Kachana stuff as well. Doesn't stop me GASing big time for a new 4 string fretless though. Speaking of which how's the Pedulla? I've always wanted to try one out, if a 4 string buzz ever comes up for sale on here then I might have to chance my arm and just get one.

Kachana is still going along fine. We've just recorded a new CD; my next task is to make the MySpace page look less awful and put up some of the new tracks. We've settled down into the classic/power metal style a bit more these days, no need to hide our Manowar influences any more :lol:

[Sorry it took so long to reply by the way, I was on my honeymoon and so logging on to basschat was probably not advisable!]

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='548463' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:20 AM']Thats one of my alltime fave movie quotes, `luke warm water' - classic!

..do a good show yeh?![/quote]

Must ... resist ... urge ... to quote Tap. It's OK; I'm a professional, I'll rise above it.

Damn ...

By the way, 65 basses: awesome. A true inspiration in my aim to merely get into double figures!

[quote name='LukewarmWater' post='566221' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:57 PM']Must ... resist ... urge ... to quote Tap. It's OK; I'm a professional, I'll rise above it.

Damn ...

By the way, 65 basses: awesome. A true inspiration in my aim to merely get into double figures![/quote]

You know, I'm really influenced by like Mozart and Bach, so this is kind of like a `Mach' piece...!

Bless ya!

Nick